View Single Post
Old 08-21-2001, 10:57 AM   #3
Skankin
Registered Member

The problem with the strut suspension is that lowering changes the angle of the control arms. You lower the centre of gravity (good), but you lower the roll centre a lot more (bad). This produces more body roll, and the geometry gets even worse. Consequently, it's best to increase the spring rate.

I went with the FMS B springs (425-525 & 200-300), and the fronts are just too soft (even just as a daily driver). Too much roll & brake dive... I'd recommend at least 600#. I cheaped out with the KYB shocks & struts too... so that's all comming off.

The ride/comfort is more dependent the dampers, so I wouldn't go too cheap. The monroe sensi-track (or whatever) are supposedly quite plush, and should work with modest spring rates.

If you go heavier up front, you'll need a better strut though. The cobra R bilsteins are a deal at $275 a pair from www.oemfordparts.com or www.buyfordmotorsport.com

The H&R springs are supposed to be quite good. Check out the rates at www.maximummotorsports.com

Here's another good link: http://home.satx.rr.com/davidmroe/sp...ufacturers.htm

You might consider just doing the front now, with 95R springs (700-850#) $145, and 2000 R Bilsteins $275. Then doing the rear later, ditching fords quadra-bind setup, and going for a torque-arm & panhard bar combo.

Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote