MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
mtv not bullets
Registered Member

Question front eibach pro-kit spring installation

I'm putting an Eibach pro-kit lowering spring kit in my 1991 lx 5.0 and I'm worried about the front springs.

The rear springs were easy. We realized that it was possible to get the spring compressors on while the springs were fully extended, then jack the axle up and let the springs fall out when the axle was let back down. However, the fronts look a little more daunting.

First of all, the front springs are reaally thick.

Second, we don't have the right kind of compressor. The Hayne's manual I was looking at instructs us to use a type of compressor which goes inside the spring and has two steel plates that hold the spring from the inside all around.

The spring compressors we're using are the kind that attach outside, where the spring is held on with U-shaped pieces that bolt to the rest of the compressor. My concern is that the spring might have enough strength to pop the bolts on the U's right off, or the compressor might jam completely. On the rears while releasing the spring the one jammed and we had to hit it with a hammer a few times to get it to slide along the compressor's bolt.

Is it doable with the tools I've got? I am considering just getting a garage to put them on, but I don't really have the money to pay someone to do it. The rear springs were sagging and riding on the rubber stop, this was as much of a repair as an upgrade.
mtv not bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
flyin 5.8
Registered Member

All I can say is good luck.

I went thru this a few months ago, The external compressors hit the control arm and would not work. The internal hook style will get the spring in but, then you can't get the compressor out. The best part is, the ford style costs about $250. I ended up making my own from parts of mine and one borrowed from AutoZone and a piece of acme thread rod and nuts from Mc Master-Carr.

Took me about 1 1/2 weeks, a lot of profanity and head scratching but I got er done.

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD . . . you want to hit it, but your afraid of the consequences."
flyin 5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote