MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

Angry compressing spring ????

I am replacing the lowering springs in my 90 GT with stock springs and am having problems finding a spring compressor that will work. I have tried an internal spring and an external strut compressor, both will compress the spring but then I have clearance issues with the threaded rod that protrudes past the spring when compressed.

Anybody know which spring compressor I need to use or have any ideas.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #2
buddha
Registered Member

I've used a clamshell type compressor. OTC makes a few of them, and I've seen some cheaper knock-offs. Do a search on the web and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
chatcher
Registered Member

i have a mac tools comp and was having the same prob the post was running into the top mount so i got a bunch of spacers and it kept the height down
Old 04-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
raptor
Registered Member

You dont need a spring compressor. Hook you ball joint back up and take the two bolts out that hold the A arm to the car. The springs will slide in no problem. Just make sure you have the car high enough.

Peace
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raptor
You dont need a spring compressor. Hook you ball joint back up and take the two bolts out that hold the A arm to the car. The springs will slide in no problem. Just make sure you have the car high enough.

Peace
I think he's taking them out. But i just did a spring swap in my car and i did things kinda the same way. all i did to take out the old springs was disconnect my strut and sway bar (with a jack under the ball joint. And when it was all out i lowered the jack slowly. And basically reversed the process to put it all back in. You can even use the spring compressor to take tension off and then its a little bit easier. But MAKE SURE you use a jack under the ball joint. There is alot of power in those springs. When you let the jack down just do it slowly and then the spring will just unload and then pretty much fall out. But be careful and just let it out slow and youll be fine.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

I removed the 2 inch plus lowering springs with no problem. I just unbolted the top of my strut lowered the A arm and popped them out. The problem is that the stock springs are way to tall to fit back in. I am going to completely remove my strut and maybe that will help.
Are you talking about completely unbolting the A arm from the k member and compressing it with a jack. If I can get the spring started I believe I can "jack" it into position. But so far I I have yet to get it close.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
Chris_H
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raptor

Peace
Definately the only way to do it. I was having problems getting t he springs back in after unhooking it from the strut. Put everything back together, and undid the 2 bolts at the frame, and made the spring change about a 15 minute job. I was using a lift though so it may take a little longer. Just take your time and watch out so that those springs don't shoot out on you.

Chris
Old 04-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

What about 4cyl springs will they be as tall as the stock GT ones? They will give better weight transfer anyway right.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
Chris_H
Registered Member

4 cyl springs are what I was putting back in and was still having problems. Not sure why, I thought they would be shorter. I love these with my 90/10's and no sway bar, but it makes for exciting times if you swerve to miss something!

Chris