MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2002, 10:43 AM   #1
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Default Does anyone know how to test a neutral switch on the WC T-5?

Does anyone know how to test a neutral switch on the WC T-5? When I push the clutch in to start the engine everything is fine. If I let the clutch out slowly my engine dies every time. If I let the clutch out really fast then the engine will try to die but then it recovers and runs fine. When I let the clutch out my check engine light comes on. As soon as I push the clutch in my check engine light goes off. When I pull the codes it gives me the code for the neutral switch on the transmission. I have already replaced the clutch mounted switch (before I scanned my codes). The switch only has 2 wires. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to test the switch without removing it. I would hate to pull my tranny and replace the switch then find out its in the wiring. Or can I bypass it temporarily to see if it fixes my problem?

Thanks!
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed, 5.0 bored .030" over, FRPP 65mm throttle body, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 70 mm MAF, Compcams XE264HR, FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP Heavy duty clutch, BBK offroad H-pipe, Dual-chamber Flows, Energy Suspension engine and tranny mounts
MustangGT1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
Shaggy
Registered Member

I would check and see if you don't happen to have a auto tranny ECU left over from a possible 5 speed conversion with the neutral safety safety switch hooked up to your clutch switch first it has been awhile since i have worked on a T-5 but i don't remember there being anything other than a backup switch to contend with and it isn't going to the ECU at all. as a matter of fact as i type this the only reason the Auto tranny has a lead going to the computer is to compensate for idle in or out of gear the T-5 doesn't comunicate at all with the ECU.(barring speed sensor on both trannys)
Old 12-11-2002, 03:36 PM   #3
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Ok, here is what I have...a 1990 GT with a factory WC T-5. It is not an auto conversion. It has a side mounted backup switch AND a neutral switch that is located on top of the transmission towards the bellhousing. It has about a 6 inch long lead that hangs down in the same area as the backup switch. The harness has a connector that it plugs in to. The switch is denoted as #6 in the diagram.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

Thanks!
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed, 5.0 bored .030" over, FRPP 65mm throttle body, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 70 mm MAF, Compcams XE264HR, FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP Heavy duty clutch, BBK offroad H-pipe, Dual-chamber Flows, Energy Suspension engine and tranny mounts

Last edited by MustangGT1990; 12-11-2002 at 07:54 PM..
Old 12-13-2002, 10:55 AM   #4
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

I disconnected the harness from the switch and it made absolutely no difference. So I'm guessing either the switch is bad OR I have a damaged wire between the switch and the computer. Does anyone know if this switch is an open/close type switch? Open = no continuity and closed = continuity? I'm assuming that it is since there are only 2 wires connecting to it.

Any ideas?