MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Question Wide Tires

My plans for a 5-lug brake upgrade are currently in the works... with this upgrade, I'm considering a number of wheels at both 17x9" and 18x9". For purposes of handling, I understand that I want the same size tire on all four corners... and the larger the contact patch, the better the grip on the road, right?

So my initial inclination is to go with a 275 tire on all four corners as many others are doing... but wouldn't a 275 tire on a 9" wide rim yield a slightly bulging sidewall? I assume that this bulging sidewall would be less rigid than that on a 265 tire... but how does all this play into handling? Is the reduced response time by the larger tire made up for in the larger contact patch?? Is there any downside to a bulging sidewall, so to speak?

Thanks for your input.

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:00 AM   #2
drudis

Bulging sidewalls are not like bulging muscles...

No really, the 275's on 9" rims are a wee bit much. The other alternative is 255's (as most dont make 265's). MANY people run 275's with 9" rims (like my buddies).
Although not optimal, more tire, is still more tire, and I would go with 275's over 255's.

As for 18 vs 17. Thats a price thing. 18" rims are more expensive, and so are the tires. Then you gotta get like 275-35's (not 275-40's) to come close to the overall diameter to fit in wheelwell...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:13 AM   #3
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Mr. Rudis,

Did you have to roll the fender lips to get those rims under your car in the front??
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
Old 03-07-2002, 10:34 AM   #4
drudis

Yep...

and that was only to fit the 275's (which worked fine). Then I modified the fender for the Griggs front end where I widened the wheelwell by 2" !!!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:47 AM   #5
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Will 275s in the front hang outside the body lines on SN95 Spindles... kinda like those ricer low-riders? Would they also cause problems with rubbing without widening the wheelwell like you did?

Also, can one roll the fender lips on their own with hand tools and get an asthetically pleasing effect? If so, how?

If not, what kind of investment are we looking at to roll the lips and widen the wheelwells ($$$)??

Thanks

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
Old 03-07-2002, 10:54 AM   #6
drudis

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyG
Will 275s in the front hang outside the body lines on SN95 Spindles... kinda like those ricer low-riders? Would they also cause problems with rubbing without widening the wheelwell like you did?

Also, can one roll the fender lips on their own with hand tools and get an asthetically pleasing effect? If so, how?

If not, what kind of investment are we looking at to roll the lips and widen the wheelwells ($$$)??

Thanks

John
No, thats the beauty of the SN95 spindles (or SN96, but lets not open that can of worms). You CAN have the tires fit nicely inside the wheelwells. Yeah, there is some fender lip rolling, and trimming of the interior splashguard plastic (rubbed on _hard_ g-force track corners).

Get the right wheels to fit. BORROW some, to make sure you get the proper offset and width... Thats why you see brand new ones up for sale on ebay...

To roll the fenders, get a WOODEN baseball bat, and hold it 45-degrees and literally roll the bat between fender and tire. The tire is grippier, so the bat will slide along fender, and just crease the "L" into a "V" (sort'a). p.s. Watch out, and remove the 12:00 screw (unlike the other 90% of us that forgot).
Old 03-07-2002, 11:13 AM   #7
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm psyched!

Later

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
Old 06-18-2002, 01:56 PM   #8
JohnnyG
Registered Member

OK, I think I'm ready to do it... I'm gonna go with the 2003 Cobra Rims... they are 17x9 and come stock with 275/40 Goodyear F1 Rubber. Does anybody know if these will cause any problems fitting on my car with SN95 spindles? How about in the rear? I don't have any info on the offset these wheels run, but I assume that it's comprable to the 2000 Cobra Wheels... Any ideas?
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
Old 06-19-2002, 01:41 PM   #9
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Exclamation Mr. Rudis, I need your help!

Well, the deal I was getting on the 2003 Cobra Rims/Tires was limited and too good to pass-up.... I got a set of four Brand Spankin New, mounted and balanced with center caps for $1500! I got them from MPS, but they only had four sets, so I listened when they told me they would fit on my car with an SN-95 upgrade, and I bought them along with a used brake upgrade. This, of course, will not be a long-term solution to improved braking, but it will get me by for now...

Now I just need a little direction on making these fat meaty tires fit under the car...

About rolling the fender lips, I just need a little more clarification... do I do this with the stock wheels in the wheel well, or the big boys I'm gonna put in? Also, do I jack up the car a bit to do this, or with full weight on each corner? Lastly, do I use the fat or skinny end of the bat? Thanks so much for your help...
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: