MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2002, 11:16 AM   #1
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool URGENT Suggestions on Bearings & Rings

I tore my 351 W down, the rod knock was a spun # 6 bearing. The copper blew out and only the steel backing was in the rod journal.

I may need a new crank. Not a big issue. Does anyone have good experience with a bearing brand for a 400 HP engine? Also, I had 4 broken top rings. I am thinking of trying the sealed power street rings to get less blow by. Any recommendations on the ring set?

All suggestions are appreciated, even the humorous ones.

I need some rings and bearings I can count on for a 100,000 miles. This last set ran 80,000 and looked like they ran 180,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jstang copy.jpg (66.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-24-2002, 03:25 PM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

sorry, I can't help you, but is that a good picture of the color of your car? and what color is it (code)? I like it, know someone that painted a '65 that color and it always stuck with me. I'd like to build a '69 one day and that's my choice. Does it have a slight olive hue when the light hits it just right?

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I'd go with Clevite 77 bearings in that critter... Childs&Albert ZGS rings if you want the tightest seal... you do like it tight, dont you?

I run Clevite bearings in my 306 (550hp+) and abuse them every time I launch with 200hp worth of nitrous flowing... they've held up great since '99, 'bout due for a new set actually...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:12 PM   #4
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Thanks everyone.

I showed my rod and main bearings to a racer I know. I trust him. He used to own several world speed records. His dad was a racer too. He and I bleed Blue Oval blood.

We were definitely detonating, although I never heard any type of pinging. We broke 4 of the top 8 rings during the run, so somehow the engine went seriously lean when I wish it had been running rich.

The Child and Alberts ZG rings are a good bet on a race engine. They are awesome pieces of engineering and performance. My friend only runs the total seal rings and has had good results on street applications like my own. I guess I will have to flip a coin. Everyone here and my other Ford sites all like the Clevite 77's which is what I was running. I will thoroughly clean the engine, double mike the main bearing caps and do a line hone if they are not good and square.

I think I will run those extra fine oil filters from now on. And a good oil additive just to keep things slippery. Next thing on my agenda is an alcohol injector for when I drag race. That will end my detonation woes.

As for the paint code, it is Chrysler's Platinum paint, a medium silver with large bright flakes that really catch your eye. We painted the car this color since my son is 19 and we do not want the police staring down another teenager in a ricky red racer.

Thanks again for all the help. I sure did get alot of friends involved in my latest debacle.