MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default 4.9 to 5.0???

I have been thinking of swapping the 308 and the t5 out of my stang, into my f-150. It currently has a 4.9l I6. Could anyone give me any idea to how hard of a swap this might be, and what I might need. Thanks for the help.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
Coupe Devil

I did that exact swap in my 87 F-150 I had. YOu will need the engine of course. You can use the same transmission and the same flywheel as the 302 and the 4.9 have the same bolt pattern and balance. You will need to get some frame stands from a factory v8 truck, I believe the ones from an 80 -96 will work but dont quote me on that., I assume the truck is currently EFI. IF so and you want to run a carb, you must remove one of the two fuel pumps that came stock on the truck. Easiet one to get rid of is the one mounted on the frame rail on the drivers side just under the cab. Then you just need the rest of the parts for a straight forward swap, intake, carb. You will also have to change the throttle cable. I suggest getting one from an older ( early 80's ) truck that came factory with a carb. Thats all I can think of right now.. Its a pretty straight forward swap. I think its easier that doing a swap in a stang because of the room to work with.. Oh and alos when I did my 87 truck I used factory Mustang shorty headers.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I have the engine, its in the stang right now. I thought about using the 308 and t5 for now, upgrading to a 347 and a tremec tko or 3550. I have the 8.8 in the truck now, it just has 2.73's with no posi. I figure I could get a set of 3.73's or possibly 3.90's and a posi unit. Modify the handle on the short throw shifter, and have myself a pretty quick truck. Run full length headers to a custom x pipe and a straight through dumped exhaust. I currently have the mass factory mass air and efi, and I really want to keep the efi. How hard would it be to re-wire the trck to accetp the efi from my stang? The truck is currently speed dinsity. Thanks for the reply Bradley. Its good info. Keep it coming.

Caymon
Old 04-20-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Coupe Devil

Well its good that you know what you want.. Are gonna use this as a dialy driver?? If so I recommend maybe a 3.55 be as low as you go with the gear... My 96 EFI has a 3.55 in it and it gets about 17 on the highway...if your gonna run a carb that will lower the mileage a little but then agin if you dont care about mileage a 3.90 gear would be hella fuin. Best I got my truck to run was a 10.58 with K&N and pullies, custom exhaust through manifolds and on street tires. Just a little more to help ya with your decisions

Bradley

Old 04-21-2003, 12:43 AM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe Devil
Well its good that you know what you want.. Are gonna use this as a dialy driver?? If so I recommend maybe a 3.55 be as low as you go with the gear... My 96 EFI has a 3.55 in it and it gets about 17 on the highway...if your gonna run a carb that will lower the mileage a little but then agin if you dont care about mileage a 3.90 gear would be hella fuin. Best I got my truck to run was a 10.58 with K&N and pullies, custom exhaust through manifolds and on street tires. Just a little more to help ya with your decisions

Bradley
Was that 10.58 in the 1/8 or the 1/4? I dont plan on it being my daily driver. I am going to buy a beater like a crv or something cheap on gas. I already have traction bars and a full aftermarket suspension on the truck. It has a DJM 3" 5" drop on it lowering springs in the front with a camber kit, and a flip kit for the rear. I can turn better in that truck that my friend can in his tricked out crx. I just need the power.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
Coupe Devil

That tiem was the 1/8th.. if my truck ran 10's in the 1/4 I wouldnt even bother with building a stang..if its not a daily drive go with the 4.10's and wind that sumbitch up in the rpm's

Bradley