MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default 93 F150 Top Speed Limiter

I have a 93 F159 4.9l 6 cyl W/5spd. It has a Hypertech chip and a flowmaster exhaust. I plan to add a cold air intake, new headers, ignition, gears, and a 75 shot of n20. I would like to know where the top speed limiter is and how to override it. Also, in the tranny, Mazda M5OD, I have lost 1st and 2nd gear. I have 3rd 4th and 5th. If you have any insight as to what this might be, please let me know. If you know where I can locate a service manual for this tranny, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Well as far as a speed limiter goes I'd guess it'd be somewhere between 85-95 mph. The only way to really know is to put the hammer down on a flat stretch of highway. The speed limiter is programmed into the EEC-IV computer. It can be overrided by using an aftermarket chip such as the Hypertech which may or may not be programmed to do so. Besides that inline six, let alone being in a heavy truck, won't see much past 100 mph anyways so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the tranny it kinda sounds like the 1-2 shift fork may be broken or a corresponding part with the 1-2 shift fork may be broken. There are three shift forks. 1-2, 3-4, and 5-Reverse. Talk to your Ford dealer about it and see what they think. My bet would be the area of the 1-2 shift fork.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:30 AM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

It shuts off at about 96mph. Since I have put a larger diameter tire on the back, 265/60-17, it has thrown my speedo calibration off. I am missing a button on my gauge panel so I can't recalibrate it. Is the ability to override the top speed limiter and option when the chip is purchased? Or do you just have to shop around until you can find a company whos chip includes that ability? I bought the truck from a friend and it already had the chip. How hard is it to get to the shift forks and replace them once you drop the tranny? I am more of a do-it-yourselfer, but I have no experience with transmissions.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:23 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

As far as the chip I'd say it's an option to get the speed limiter removal. You CAN get the Hypertech with the speed limiter removed on it as far as I know but I'd bet it's an option. So you are missing either the Reset button or the Trip/Odometer button? That sucks. Probably can't even get a new button by itself. Have you tried to get a replacement button? You could probably send the chip to Hypertech and have them remove the speed limiter on the chip. They probably have email and it probably wouldn't cost much to have them do it.

As far as the tranny I'd let Ford or a VERY reputable shop do the work. I saw my 96 GT's 5-speed apart and man it's freakin' complicated. I try to do everything myself as well, but personally I'd leave the tranny to the shop. I had a part break on my 1-2 shift fork in my 96's T45. Ended up paying about $1100 after all said and done. Got totally ripped off by a shop and ended up taking it to Ford and getting it done. If I would have known I was going to spend that much I could have gotten a brand new T45 for $1000. Go figure . Good luck.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:10 AM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to contact Hypertech and see what they have to say. As far as the tranny, I guess I'll go to a pick a part and pull one. I won't be able to afford to get the one I have fixed for a while. A used one will hold me over untill I can come up with the money. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
PKRWUD

I have a '95 F150 300 / 5 spd / 3.55 LS. The speed limiter kicks in around 95 mph, but when I installed my JET chip, it got rid of it. Adding a K&N FIPK made a HUGE difference, as did the chip. I also put on an Edelbrock RPM cat-back exhaust, which helped some, but sounds better more than anything. I wouldn't waste any money on headers if I was you. If your factory exhaust is like mine, it's just fine. The dual tri-y manifolds do an excellent job! I tried different ignitions, and found the factory one to be the best (tried Crane HI-6 & MSD). I did replace the coil with a Crane PS 91.

As far as the tranny goes, check the fluid level. The Mazda 5 speeds are known for leaking the fluid out until the tranny starts to grenade. You should probably just replace/rebuild it.

What gears are in your truck now?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 09:31 AM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I'm not really sure how much fluid was in it, but when I drained it, the fluid was almost black. There was a lot of metal shavings in it. I replaced the fluid thinking that maybe it didn't have enough in it to begin with, and that did nothing. I had the idea to drop the tranny and take the case off, pull any parts out that looked broken and go to the local dealership for replacements, I have just never gotten around to actually doing it.

I am unsure what gears it has in it. It has the stock gears with the towing package. I wanted to put 4.11's and positrack. But the guy at the local performance diff. shop tried to talk me out of it. I think they come stock with 2.55's. It doesn't have much get-up. Once I fix the tranny, that'll be the next thing.

Just out of curiosity, I have never really paid much attention to K&N, what does FIPK stand for? I tried to find a cold air for it, and K&N is the only company that makes one that I could find.

Doea that Edlebrock exhaust sound better that the Flowmaster?
Old 06-29-2002, 09:39 AM   #8
PKRWUD

FIPK = Filtercharger Injection Performance Kit

Look inside the back of the drivers side door jamb for the VC Label. It will list weights, the VIN, and a bunch of codes along the bottom. See what the code is beneath where it says AXLE, and post it here. I'll tell you what you have.

I haven't heard a 4.9 with the Flowmaster before, so I can't compare. The Edelbrock RPM sounds alot better than it did stock, but not like a V8.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:20 PM   #9
Kevn
Registered Member

Its Fuel Injection Performance kit. Heheh, hope that didnt sound snotty or anything, it wasn't supposed to.
http://www.knfilters.com/kits.htm
Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not the whole FIPK is that much better than just a filter?
Kevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 12:03 AM   #10
PKRWUD

I guess they've changed it since I bought mine (see picture).

The FIPK is better than the drop in because it reduces the obstructions that are normally in the airs way in a stock application. That, and the fact that they use an open element filter. Made a HUGE difference for me!

Take care,
~Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p7281721.jpg (167.1 KB, 7 views)
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!