MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-16-2002, 04:58 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default '94 Ford Bronco

Hey guys-
I've been helping a friend of mine do some maintenance on his '94 Ford Bronco with a 5.8 liter motor. We were wanting to change his fuel filter, but have been having trouble finding where to depressurize the fuel system?? I saw some type of Schrader valve looking thing on top of one of the fuel rails. It almost looks like a valve stem with threads on top, and what looks like a needle valve inside of it. I haven't tried pressing on the needle with a screwdriver or anything, because it's not my vehicle & I don't want to mess anything up. The owner of the Bronco has a crappy Hanes manual for us to refer to, but it's not much help. That particular Hanes manual covers Broncos & F-series trucks from 1980-1996. So that is a lot of info. to cover in such a thin manual. But the Hanes manual does show an inertia switch that is supposed to be inside the car, on the firewall, right to the left of the brake pedal. Well, there isn't one. We even checked the firewall in the engince compartment, just in case it was in there. Couldn't find anything. I've taken apart many Ford fuel systems and have the appropriate fuel line disconnecter tools that push the spring out of the flanged fuel rail fittings. Please let me know if you guys can help me with depressurizing this '94 Ford Broncos fuel system. It would be much appreciated.

Simi-
Old 12-16-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Clamp the lines on both sides of the fuel filter with vise grips.. just clamp them tight enough to close the hose. ( WHICH ISNT MUCH ) and teh ntake the filter out..I know its not real technical but its works and unless you just really try your best to screw up the lines it will work fine and wont hurt a thing. Ive been doing it this way for years. Assuming there is a short piece of rubber hose on eash side of the filter. ( There should Be )

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default '94 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe Devil
Clamp the lines on both sides of the fuel filter with vise grips.. just clamp them tight enough to close the hose. ( WHICH ISNT MUCH ) and teh ntake the filter out..I know its not real technical but its works and unless you just really try your best to screw up the lines it will work fine and wont hurt a thing. Ive been doing it this way for years. Assuming there is a short piece of rubber hose on eash side of the filter. ( There should Be )

Bradley
I'm not sure if that would work? I can't get the filter out because the system needs to be depressurized. Pinching the lines wouldn't depressurize it, would it? Plus, I don't remember seeing any rubber lines near the fuel filter. I believe the lines going to the filter are somewhat of a hard line, almost like a braided steal line, but I can't imagine Ford having braided fuel lines on stock Broncos?? The connectors at the fuel filter are similar to most late model Ford fuel rail connectors, just a little smaller. They require a special tool, which I have, & know how to use. There is just too much pressure in the system to get those connectors to budge. Any other thoughts? Anyone?
Old 12-17-2002, 04:44 AM   #4
Coupe Devil

Ahhh sorry mis understanding on my part.. your speaking of a filter on the frame rail correct. Sorry not sure what to tell you. And you do hve to have the special line tools to swap it. I cant remember what we did last time we changed one like that.. I think we just closed our eyes and let the fuel spray... I wouldnt recommend that though..

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:01 PM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Sorry I haven't been online in a while or I could have answered this for you earlier. Your inertia switch is on the passenger's side of the cab behind the the lower kick panel under the dash. Pull out the plastic cover there under the dash and you'll see the switch (black box with the red button on top). Just pull off the plug from the switch and then you can depressurize your system. You can also do it at the schrader valve that you saw on the fuel line, but there'll be more fuel in the line than if you do it with the inertia switch. I usually do it using the inertia switch way. Then you'll need the special fuel line tool. Try this though. Undo the to nuts that hold the fuel filter bracket on the frame. Pull the bracket away from the frame. At least on our Lightnings it makes it easier to do because there's not much freakin' room to get your hands up in there between it and the front tank.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default '94 Ford Bronco

Thanks for the info. 96GTS! That Hanes manual sucks. It said that the inertia switch was on the driver's side! So once I find the inertia switch, do what exactly do I do to it? The lame-*** Hanes manual said to lift up on the red button on top? Is that right? And then start the truck and let it burn up the rest of the fuel in the lines until it stalls. Is that what I should do then? And if I do end up releiving it at the schrader valve, do I just push on the valve stem looking thing with a screwdriver or something? Or do I need a tool to screw onto those threads? I have the little round plastic tools for the fuel line fittings, so I'm at least set with that. Undoing the fuel filter from the rain might help out some, thanks. Hope you can help me with my other questions...

Simi-
Old 12-18-2002, 06:14 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Default Re: '94 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
Thanks for the info. 96GTS! That Hanes manual sucks. It said that the inertia switch was on the driver's side! So once I find the inertia switch, do what exactly do I do to it? The lame-*** Hanes manual said to lift up on the red button on top? Is that right? And then start the truck and let it burn up the rest of the fuel in the lines until it stalls. Is that what I should do then? And if I do end up releiving it at the schrader valve, do I just push on the valve stem looking thing with a screwdriver or something? Or do I need a tool to screw onto those threads? I have the little round plastic tools for the fuel line fittings, so I'm at least set with that. Undoing the fuel filter from the rain might help out some, thanks. Hope you can help me with my other questions...

Simi-
When you find the inertia switch disconnect the plug from it. You can't pull up on the red button because it's recessed. Just pull the plug and start the truck and let it run out of fuel in the lines. Then change your filter. Be VERY careful with the fuel line attachments when you are undoing them from the filter. Make sure the little tool fits right and don't press too hard or you'll damage the little spring retainers on the inside and it'll end up in the shop to get sawn off and replaced. Been there, done that. After you've replaced the filter plug the connector back into the switch, prime the fuel lines a couple times (turn the key over to activate the pumps, you'll hear them turn on, but don't try to start it) and then start the truck. Check for leaks and then you're done. have fun .
Old 12-18-2002, 07:28 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Default '94 Ford Bronco

Thanks alot Adam! That's all I needed to know.

Simi-
Old 12-22-2002, 11:44 PM   #9
PKRWUD

For future reference, and to answer one of your questions, the schraeder valve is just like the valve stem on your tires, and you depress the center valve the same way. If you ever do this, just remember that the fuel will squirt for about half a second, so watch your eyes.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:35 AM   #10
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Default Re: '94 Ford Bronco

not to say anything bad but u guys are not going to the last step first he has a bronco! he has to pull the fuse and then he has to run it until it dies! but its been three years so i hope he has it done lol! FORD FOREVER!!!!!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote