MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-16-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default '94 Ford Bronco starting problems

Hey guys. I've been trying to help a buddy of mine tune-up & pin point an on going problem that he's been having. We have done the following: new fuel filter, new spark plugs, new cap & rotor, and ran a couple of bottles of Chevron fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system. That being said...here is a description of the problem from the owner of the Bronco.

"When I start the truck, if I just turn the key and let go it'll turn over for a split second and stall instantly. So, I have to force gas in the system to keep it going. If the truck is cold and hasn't started for a while or especially in the morning this will happen every time. I usually gas it up to 1000 RPM's to keep it going. If I let off the gas it'll stall again. Basically I have to keep gasing it at 1000 RPM's or more for about a minute or two before it'll idle on it's own. Once the truck is warm it'll start up no problem from then on. Only when the truck is cold it will stall every time and won't idle on it's own until I forcefully warm it up.

That's pretty much my diagnosis for my Bronco. If anyone can help figure this out that would be great."

We're still in the middle of the 'ol process of elmination theory, to help us find the problem. Next on the list is new spark plug wires, removing & thoroughly cleaning out the throttle body & EGR (along w/ the sensors), checking fuel pressure & timing, & bumping up the idle some. The idle seems a little low right now, but not much. I really don't think the problem is the low idle though. Could a clogged catalytic converter cause something like this? What else do you guys think it could be? Any ideas welcome!

Simi-

Last edited by Simi Stang; 01-16-2003 at 04:15 PM..
Old 01-16-2003, 05:12 PM   #2
PKRWUD

It's the IAC solenoid, more than likely.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default Bronco

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
It's the IAC solenoid, more than likely.

Take care,
~Chris
I don't have the manual because it is with the owner, otherwise I'd look it up...but where is the IAC located on that 5.8L? Is there a way to test it? Or are you thinking it should just be replaced? Also, what should the timing be set at on this '94 5.8L? Would 8-10 degrees btdc be good? Is there a plug or something that I need to remove (like on 5.0s) before checking/setting the timing? I couldn't find the timing specs in either of the two manuals (Haynes/Chiltons) that my friend has on the Bronco.

Thanks-
Simi
Old 01-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default IAC??

PKRWUD-
Are you out there??
Old 01-17-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
PKRWUD

The timing should be 10 mdegrees advanced, and the spout connector should be below/around the drivers side hood hinge. The IAC is the Idle Air Control solenoid, and is a cylinder bolted to the side of the throttlebody.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default Bronco

Thanks PKRWUD. You rule!