MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2001, 01:50 AM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Question 99-00 Lightning vs 94 Cobra

The other day, the wife and I were out and came across this older gentleman in a 99-00 Lightning. We weren't racing or anything, as he would have let us sitting, but we were playing leap frog in traffic.
We got stopped at a traffic light, and exchanged glances before we looked each other's car/truck over. When the light turned green the older man went about his business, casually driving his ride through the light, as I was in a slight hurry(not to mention beside a serious hulk of a truck) I got on her a bit. He obviously didn't like the fact that I had gunned it in front of him and took off. So I raced him, and somehow, won. And not by a measly car length, but 3 or 4.
Here is where I have a bit of trouble, isn't the Lightning rated at 360hp? I know it's way over what my car is, and maybe the weight played a role in my win, but aren't they alot faster than a relativly stock 94 Cobra? What are the numbers on these things stock? And last but not least, given how fast they are stock, what would you expect my new 1/4 mile times to be? Maybe I should have posted this in Street Racer's Corner, but I thought you guys/girls would know more about them. Anyway, thanks!

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:19 AM   #2
BlueOvalBolt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You are correct, the Lightnings are at 360 hp at 440 ft/lbs of torque. Usually stock, I have seen times range from 13.5 to 14.2. IMO, the weak link in the stock set up is that when you punch it from a rolling start, it won't downshift from second to first above 15 mph. It got so I wouldn't race unless from a standing start or above 35 or 40 mph. A chip is a must for the 99/00 L's for this and assorted other reasons.

A chip and filtered L would have given you a better run but looking at the times you post, it looks like you've got it goin' on just fine.

P.S. Get ready for the 01's, 380 hp, 450 ft/lbs., 3.73 gears, larger MAF....

------------------
'93 Cobra, 1 5/8" FMS shorty headers, 2 1/2" Mac cat-pipes, Borla cat-back, 180 degree thermostat, 4" ram air, 3.55 gears, March pulleys, strut tower brace, Kenne Bell flip chip, Crane Hi-6 ignition, Crane coil, Global West Trac-Link, Hurst chrome shifter, Canton oil pan, BFG g-force kd tires

'99 L, JL Stage II Ram Air, Bassani cat-pipes, Borla cat-back, R9 Superchip, Cal-Tracs, Chassis Tech 2" drop shackles, Water Wetter

[This message has been edited by BlueOvalBolt (edited 03-10-2001).]
BlueOvalBolt is offline   Reply With Quote