MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default 97 F150 5.4 headers.

Hey folks...

My brother was deployed to Iraq last week and left his truck with me so I can fix and use it (97 F150 5.4L... stock... single exhaust out of the passenger side)... it runs pretty good, but appears to have 3 busted bolts on the exhaust manifolds. Two rear ones on the passenger side and one on the driver's side. It is leaking from those spots.

Now, I realize that I have to get those broken bolts out of the head (if I can't get it out from where it is, looks like I'll be in for a top end rebuild)... but I figured that while I had it apart, I'd just stick a set of headers on there, after all, they are competitively priced with replacement manifolds which look as though they've seen better days as the bolt holes on the broken bolts are well oversized and worn oblonged.

So, my question is for anyone to give me tips on which headers (cost is a bit of an issue, but I'm not going to squabble over $100 or so difference) to grab and which to avoid... and if there are any tricks that I should know before diving in there.

As for me, I'm a pretty good mechanic... but not too good to ask someone who may have done it, first.

Also, while I'm at it, should I just replace the entire exhaust (cat back...)? It looks like it is in pretty good shape... but not much point in sticking a set of headers on an otherwise choked system.

Thanks in advance...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Default Re: 97 F150 5.4 headers.

www.truckperformance.com Try there. Ive ordered from them before with great success.Sorry for taking so long to reply ive bee naway from the comp for a while.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: 97 F150 5.4 headers.

Ha!!!

Finished the headers a couple days back... Had to drill and tap 2 holes from the broken studs... Rough to do while it was in the truck, but a couple broken drill bits, and screw extractors later, it's done.

Ended up ordering them from Summitt... along with a 2 1/4 cat back dual exhaust set up. Total ran about $350 after shipping.

I would have to admit, however... that changing the spark plugs in that thing were almost as challenging as putting on the headers (much easier after I reserved myself to laying on top of the engine to try to access everything, though). 8 separate coils? under the fuel rails? Must have been real close to 5PM on a Friday afternoon for them to come up with that one...

The exhaust system, however, was a pleasant surprise in how easy it was and how well it fit. Hopefully it will hold up.

Thanks for replying, though...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: