MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
stanger9219
Registered Member

Default dumb ques. about power shifting

i have a few questions about power shifting my stang. Power shifting is shifting really fast with out using the clutch or letting of the gas right??? Is it a bad thing to do on the stock transmission???ive been wanting to learn more about it but dont want to break anything by being dumb.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default CLUTCH?!

By all means use the clutch! Just leave the gas pedal all the way to the floor...stab the clutch in at just the right time...never lift off the gas pedal and slam it into gear. Just don't miss the shift!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:01 PM   #3
erl2589
Registered Member

The stock T-5 trans isn't known for it's strength and ability to withstand abuse. I think powershifting will defineitly shorten the life of your trans not to mention clutch, u joints, rearend. I'm not a veteran drag racer but have been to the track a couple times and saw no difference in et's from powershifting. It was all in the 60ft.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default power shifting

Quote:
Originally posted by erl2589
The stock T-5 trans isn't known for it's strength and ability to withstand abuse. I think powershifting will defineitly shorten the life of your trans not to mention clutch, u joints, rearend. I'm not a veteran drag racer but have been to the track a couple times and saw no difference in et's from powershifting. It was all in the 60ft.
There's definitely a payoff at the finish line if you're power shifting into every gear as opposed to normal shifting. No to knock your abilities erl2589...but maybe you weren't doing it right?? Every little bit helps when trying to better your 1.4 mile time...trust me. I just power shift at the track when I know I've gotten a good launch off the line and the beginning of the run is worthy of powershifting to attempt to better my best time. I normally do not power shift when just messing around on the street...unless by some odd chance I get into a race with a car just as fast as mine...or faster. Then I may have to powershift my car to get the absolute most out of it. But I really try not to do it much. As long as it's not done often...and executed correctly, the T5s (at least with my experience) can take quite a bit of powershifting. Just don't miss a gear! Ha-ha! Yeah...right.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
stanger9219
Registered Member

wouldnt that fry the clutch though?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Talking

It won't "fry" the clutch, but you certainly aren't going to help it any either. It's not designed for such abuse, it'll take it for sure, but not for any length of time. It DOES help at the tack quite a bit, a good "power shift" (sometimes called speed shift too) usually takes about .2 to .5 seconds, whereas a normal shift can take as much as twice that amount. At the drag strip it IS a game of fractions of seconds, so sure it'll help. I like the idea above about not power shifting unless you have something big to gain for it. I wouldn'te recommend it with a stock shifter either, WAY to risky with a flimsy shifter!

Here's how: Your right foot stays ON THE FLOOR. At your shift RPM, literally stab the clutch pedal with your left foot, and shift gears simultanelously. Don't bring the clutch pedal back up with your foot either, just let your foot roll off of the left side of the clutch pedal, the pressure plate will bring it back up for ya. It's hard on equipment, but with a little practice, it's easy enough to do, and tons of fun. One last thing, DON'T MISS!!!

Good luck!
~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #7
skiwesser
Registered Member

It can also be hard on stereos and knuckles!!
88 GT: subs,pullies, 1 3/4 longtubes, flowmasters, AFR 165's,T,F #1 cam,Thyphoon intake, 24# inj., 73mm C&L,65mmT.B., 190LPH pump, Eagle sir rods, forged pistons in a newly rebuilt 306.

DYNO TUNED TO 300.97 RWHP 337RWTQ
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:29 AM   #8
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Dont try this until you really know how to shift very good and just take it slow and go through the motions... if you even think you will miss you better have an extra motor handy!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote