MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-24-2002, 05:29 PM   #1
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Question BOSS 5.4L truck

i just saw some pics of a truck at a dealership that i have never seen before and know nothing about. it says boss 5.4L and its clean real clean. looks like the lightnings big brother. anyone heard or seen anything?
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

The Lightning's Big Brother??? Hmmm.....I'm thinking more like little brother. It's just a "looks" package. Nothing special about it. All show and no go. It just looks too bulky as well.

Here's some pics.

Check out this link on the NLOC site where we were talking about it around the first of the year. The specs for the boss on are the second page of the post.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:19 PM   #3
vtec8ter
Registered Member

all show and no go, huh? i see you have a lightning and i am guessing that is why you said that. i read that this truck has the the 5.4 navigator motor, which makes around 1200hp with a turbo. there is a cobra in north carolina that maxxed out the dyno at true blue performance with that setup, just my .02
Old 04-28-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

What does adding a turbo to a 5.4 to get 1200hp have to do with the Boss 5.4 F150? All the truck is is a conversion package kind like the Centurion and Show Trucks USA used to do with trucks. They get the truck, trick it out with a good lookin' paint job and a bunch of looks accessories to make like a show truck. That's all it is. And no it doesn't use the 5.4 DOHC Lincoln Navigator motor. Just the regular F150 5.4 SOHC which is stock. Here's what a Ford/SVT dealer that gets those trucks says about what the Boss package is:
Actually, it's not really Ford doing it. It's a conversion company out of Lagrange, IN called "L.A. West". Surprisingly there is quite a demand for these at our dealership. We've already sold 2 and have a 3rd that just came in. There are 4 stages to the truck:

(from back of promotional post card)

1.) Competition Yellow Paint/Dark Graphite Interior, Full "Streetwise" lower body cladding, catback dual exhaust, privacy tint, "Prime" full-polished aluminum 5 spoke wheels, P275/60R17 BSW tires, painted hood scoops/tail light covers & grill, Boss 5.4 badging, sequential production serial numbers w/certificate of authenticity.

2.) Stamped steel simulated cowl induction hood, Boss hood/grill paint design.

3.) "Prime" custom chrome 20 x 8.5" Boss wheels, Goodyear Eagle GTII tires

4.) Boss custome leather steering wheel, Boss immersion technology checkered dash & door trim, Boss two-tone leather seats w/accent piping.

-Limited production 2002 model
-Ford pool units
-3 year/36,000 mile warranty
-Orders will be filled on first-come basis

They only come in the yellow (even though we've pleaded with L.A. West to do red & black, too). They wanted a color that wasn't available on a "stock" F-150.

There's a similar version coming in a few weeks in extended cab format called the "QT". It comes in black, white, red & silver. Same deal, though. Nothing but eyeball and a stock 5.4L w/cat back duals & big pretty wheels.

In case anyone's curious the L's still outsell the @#$% out of the Boss.

Those trucks are still regular F150s suspension wise and drivetrain wise, too, which the Lightning's are not. The Lightning is just based on the F150 platform.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Post guess i was wrong

i thought that it used the dual overhead navigator motor. if that was the case, it would be the lightnings big brother. now, it just isnt as appealing. thanks for the info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: