MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2003, 08:54 PM   #1
RDRZ
Registered Member

Default Engine Transplant

I have a friend who is giving me a 1992 F350 4x4 with a blown diesel motor in it. I want to buy a gas crate motor to put in there. What kind of work can expect to have to do to make it all work? I will not worry about smog (I live in CA) because I will keep it registered as a diesel and, if possible, I will pick a motor with the same bolt pattern for the bell housing on the tranny that is in the truck right now. Any help on what I will need to do would be appreciated.
RDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to go from diesel to gas? Diesel is cheaper and diesel engines generally tend to get better gas mileage than gas, especially in a truck that size. You are going to have to put a new computer in it and re-wire the truck if you go efi. Are you planning on going efi or carb? If you dont worry about smog and dont care about mileage, go carb. They are cheaper to upgrade. What size engine are you planning on going with? Whatever you use, pull the brain, or computer, and the wiring harness when you do it.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
RDRZ
Registered Member

My dad is the one who is really getting the truck and he likes gas better than diesel despite the benefits of a diesel motor. I am just going to do what he wants. I was going to go with a carb motor, like a 351 or 390, maybe 460. My dad said he would pay for everything, so cost won't be too much of an issue. Will I need any special wiring for the new motor or just the basics? Also, I don't know what motor will mount up to the current tranny. I am thinking it is the 460 because these trucks came with the 460 option.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:53 PM   #4
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Dont quote me, but I'm pretty sure it would be easier to just get the wiring harness that came out of whatever the engine originally was in. Or you can check out Painless Wiring, I'm pretty sure they have a website. Call them up and ask about a wiring harness for the application you are looking for. I'm sorry I couldnt be more help.

Caymon
Old 04-24-2003, 11:30 PM   #5
Coupe Devil

Easiest way is to go 460 carb.. basic wiring there no biggies. Just need the motor and flywheel. and engine stands.. thats pretty much it. The rest is just straight forward swap stuff .

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 07:40 AM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe Devil
Easiest way is to go 460 carb.. basic wiring there no biggies. Just need the motor and flywheel. and engine stands.. thats pretty much it. The rest is just straight forward swap stuff .

Bradley
I have been considering swaping in a 460 or a stroked 351 instead of my 308. I know you can get efi for the 351, but what about the 460? I dont think I have ever seen an efi 460. That'd be pretty sweet.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
RDRZ
Registered Member

I really don't know anything at all about Ford trucks really, I deal more with mustangs. But what about the econoline vans with the 460's? Like early 90's? Were those carb or efi? I thought they stopped making carb before that.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:38 PM   #8
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by RDRZ
I really don't know anything at all about Ford trucks really, I deal more with mustangs. But what about the econoline vans with the 460's? Like early 90's? Were those carb or efi? I thought they stopped making carb before that.
Thats a good point, I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to look into it. That would be one helluva beast!!