MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
stangt00
Registered Member

Lightbulb Twin Turbo on a 4.6?

Has anyone seen a Twin Turbo setup on the 4.6? I know I've seen it on 5.0's before, but never heard of it on the 4.6. Who out there would like to see a T.T. setup on the 4.6? If you have, let me know. I am really interested in checking it out.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
98GtPower
Registered Member

Turbo Driven Concepts makes one. It has a bunch of different stages for the 4.6....the only thing is, I dont know if any turbo's are smog legal. The word around my town is that they wont pass smog inspection with a turbo.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
stangt00
Registered Member

The word around town? But has it been proven to not pass emissions. Hell, you would think that taking exhaust away to spin a turbo would result in less detectable emissions. Well, I dont know all that much about them so, maybe some more input would be good.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

The issue in CA is that I'm not sure you can spool a turbo with shorty headers. You cannot modify the six cat system at all in CA and pass emmisions.

That's why blowers are the way to go, there is more flexibility on the intake side.

Incon used to make a TT setup, and rumor is that a turbo setup would be a better choice than a blower, since you can get more boost from them. Try doing a general search on yahoo, I'm sure it will come back with something.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:29 AM   #5
-viscid-01-GT-
Registered Member

Get your TT take off your cats. & muff's. Just find te right guy at the smog shop, spot him $50, 10 mins later you got an emission legal car. . .. ( No! I dont do this :]] )
-viscid-01-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
stangt00
Registered Member

I found this from innovative turbo solutions:

Quote:
Stage I 4.6 single kit including 62-1 Garrett turbo, 38mm external Turbo smart wastegate, Turbosmart Type II BOV, 3" DP and H-pipe connection, Large Frontmount IC, new headers piping houses connections etc..Intank Steeda dual fuel pump 42lbhr injectors 80mm Calibrated mass air sensor reburn on custom chip, installation and dyno runs. You would also need to switch to a flowthru muffler instead of a chambered style wich was included.
They want $7000 installed and dyno tuned, $1000 less if I install and tune. Thats outrageous for a turbo setup. He didnt even give me an idea what kind of power to expect. For that price, better be like 250RWHP. Guess thats out of the question. Hell, the Twin Turbo was $2000 more. Thats outrageous. I could put a crate 800Hp motor in there for the same price. Oh well.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #7
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Visit www.turbomustangs.com, they have links to most of the turbo kit manufactures. I don't usually pay too much attention to the modular stuff, but after seeing you post, I spent a few minutes doing a search into the kits available.

TDC makes kits from $3995 which is said to produce 350 rwhp to a $6995 kit that makes 800+ rwhp. I can tell you the base kit must have only been running around 6 lbs of boost to make the 350 rwhp, turn the boost up to 10 and your probably in the 425 rwhp range.

Turbolocity sells kits. Not certain if the kits they sell are their's or sombody elses, but the $5549 was the lowest priced kit I could find and it made 434 rwhp & 547 ft/lbs of torque on the lowest setting. Not certain what boost level that was, but I would imagine around 10 lbs.

Pro Turbo and some others are releasing kits later this year.

All of these kits were single turbo kits, trust me, twins might look good, but after working around them for a while, you'll wish you had went single.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #8
stangt00
Registered Member

Hey guy's. Thanks for all your inputs, and specially to 91GTturbo for taking the time to research that for me. I aint got the cash now, but I think when I do, im gonna go for the single turbo setup over the supercharger. I am sure it will run 11's, maybe high 10's with slicks. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

TDC is out of the picture they have closed down. As for price turbo set ups will never be cheap because of all the custom work that has to be done to build the kits. I spoke with a local shop that does turbo work and told me flat out a complete turbo set up 100% complete including install and tuning will run $10K out the door if you want it done right. There isn't a whole lot of room in the mod motor engine comparment and you figure you have ot make basically a custom header to mount the turbo to that alone is usually a $700-1200 piece in itself. Performance wise there is no comparison from a blower to a turbo.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #10
stangt00
Registered Member

I have found a few other single turbo setups out there that are making baseline 450rwhp for less than 8g, completely installed and tuned with everything. Is it worth it though? I can see how a turbo can make more power than a supercharger, but you pay for it too. In retrospect, how much $ would it take to make a supercharged engine push 450rwhp in other work such as pistons, porting etc..., not including nitrous. Could this be where a turbo can be more cost effective for the power increase over a S/C?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #11
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Fact is you can make more power with less boost using a turbo. Less boost is less pressure on the motor to break, of course tune is everything so a bad tune with any power adder will result in a broken motor. Another big plus to turbos is that it's exhaust driven and not crank driven. Blowers put a lot of stress on the thrust bearing of the crank and are known to cause premature failure of this and the crank. For your average guy that isn't an issue but it does happen. Dollar for dollar the blower is more cost effective but the potential to make big power will always be with the turbo. This is also why there is only one blown Pro 5.0 car and the rest are Turbo.

Bill
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote