MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-25-2002, 03:44 AM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default fuel gage

My fuel gage in the truck doesn't work. Every since I bought it, it has been past full. The guy I bought it from had a mechanic look at it and all he said is that it wasn't the gage. I think it is the sending unit. About haw much is a new sending unit and how hard are they to change? Do they make aftermarket fuel gages, like a dash mount or something? If so, how much and how hard are they to install? I am about to have to go to Louisiana for my job and I really don't want to have to count miles to know when it is time to fill up. Thanks.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Sounds to me like the sending unit. My 87 had the same problem. You have to drop the tank to fix it. but its really not that hard.

First put a jack under the tank ( So it wont fall, I also recommend doing this while the tank is close to empty ). Drop the tank. Just two bolts that are holding two straps on that hold the tank in. Drop it partially, watching the top of the tank as you go. You will need to disconnect the lines and electrical plug before you get it all the way down. after you disconnect those go ahead and pull it all the way out. Now.... Now that its on the ground, you will need a hammer and a Chisel of some sort to take the hold down ring off. Its just a ring that is rotated into place and holds the sending unit in place. you will be able to look at it and tell which way it needs to turn to come off, COUNTER CLOCKWISE I THINK. There are little tabs that stick up so you will be able to see whta im talking about when you get the tank out. Then just pull the old sending unit out and replace with the new one. The one yo uget at the part store will have a new fuel pump on it. I recommend gettign one like this. I replaced mine with a sending unit without a new pump once. It didnt work either. So just go ahead and get the good one. Repeat steps backwards for installation. I cant remember what they cost to replace but hopefully this will get it working again.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote