MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2002, 08:54 AM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Future mods

I plan on modifying my truck and have a few questions beforehand. First off, I have a 93 F-150 4.9l 5 spd. I need a tach, whereas it doesn't have a factory one. Are there any provisions for wiring one up or do I need to take it somewhere and have them do it? I also need gears, but I can't decide between 4.10's or 3.73's. Which would be better? This is a daily driver. I also would like a new throttle bodie and cold air intake. The only people I have found that make a cold air for my truck is K&N. Are these any good? I have found no one that makes a throttle body for this engine. I have noticed a similarity in the throttle bodies for my engine and the V8's of the same year(both with two intake paths). Will this throttle body fit my intake and perform as it needs to? If so, will a cold air made for the V8's fit also? I was also planning on an ignition of some kind, but would like to venture away from MSD. Has anyone heard anything about the Jacobs Electronics ignitions? What about bumping up my timing? I'm not sure what the timing is set at now (factory) but what would be a good, safe number to set it at? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
Coupe Devil

First off the K&N Gen II kits are a good kit to my knowledge. I ordered one from www.performancecombos.com it was $159 I believe. Turns out they first sent me the wrong one ( one for a 4.9l truck ) but I have had nothing but good dealings with thier customer service department on trying to getme the correct kit. I recommend these guys. Gears- What are your current gears now? With the 3.73's and the stick you an really get some good low power and stop light fun. Like a Mustang, it is my OPINION that the auto trucks like the lower gears and the stick trucks a slightly higher gear. Depends also on what you plan on doing with the truck, everday driving, towing/hauling or a street warrior ( and I have seen a few 4.9 L trucks that handed me my butt before so dont laugh ) Throttle Body. This has been brought up so many times its not funny. I havent been able to find a straight answer if the dual 50 MM throttle body that is stock on my truck ( 302 ) and the one on a 4.9 or Big Block truck ( also a dual 50 mm throttle body but slightly different ) will interchange and make any difference. There are Throttle bodies for the 302 trucks, Edelbrock makes them, three different sizes. One thing you need to think about is, Is you truck mass air. There are mass air conversions available ( Summit has these I believe ) that will allow you to change to mass air and have a cold air induction system using the K&n kit in conjunction. As far as the jacobs ignition goes, I have no comments. I ave no experience with Jacobs products what so ever. Im a MSD man myself and stick to those faithfully. Timing, there is not a set number that you can go to. slowly start to bump it by 2 degrees at a time and test for pinging and detonation. Also its important to run a higher grade octane gas ( IMO ) during this mod and continue afterwards. Timing is different on each vehicle depending on other mods, weather conditions, and driving habits. Hope this helps

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 12:08 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I already run 93 octane in my truck and stang. I try to use chevron w/ techron. Don't know if it is any better, but it sounds good and is cheaper that exxon. I currently run an MSD in my stang and I think it played a role in why the stang is sitting in the driveway, not sure though. I want to check into the throttle bodies, I have a bbk on my car and like it. I know bbk makes them for the 302, but once again, I am not sure if they are interchangeable. How would I go about finding out, other that trail and error> The guys at Tommie Vaughn Ford, a local dealer that sells aftermarket performance parts out of their parts dept,. say no, but you have to wonder if that is experience or just a dealership talking. I also thought about a cam. Does anyone make an "off the shelf" cam for my engine or would I have to buy a custom grind? Who has the best quality custom grinds? I think my plans for the truck are to have an every day driven street warrior. Something that I can drive all the time and still have fun when I deem necessary. I have 3.73's n the stang and I love them. I am unsure what gears I currently have. I had a post a while back, and PKRWUD asked what the axle code was so he could tell me, I just got lazy and never looked. Thanks for the reply.
Caymon
Old 08-21-2002, 12:29 PM   #4
Coupe Devil

OK, Im gonna say the the throttle body thing will be trial nad error but It may bolt right up and work fine, who knows - NOONE does, thats the problem. As far as cams go. I really have no idea if anyone makes a aftermarket performance cam for the 200 6 banger.. We use HOWARD CAMS in al lthe big block motors we do most of the time. If not Howard, Lunati. I would look at the rear end gears first. I had a 87 F-150 with a 300 and 4 speed, ( three speed + overdrive ) and it had 4.10's It got bout 13 mpg unloaded, 12 loaded, and it didnt matter how I drove it. BUT lord was it fun. I then swapeed in a 2bbl 302 roller motor out of an 86 GT stang and wow. talk about fun to drive..

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I noticed you referred to the 4.9 as a 200ci, it is actually a 300ci. I'll check out Lunati and Howard. Thanks. I just sent an e-mail to Edelbrock to try and find out about the throttle body. I'll post the reply if you are interested. It is good to see that we now have a moderator that has the time to respond and throw in his .02. I appreciate your responses. I am in no way bashing the guy before you, as was mentioned by Mr. McClain, he had prior engagements with his time. I am sure he is a very insightful person and can offer great advice if time permits. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
Caymon
Old 08-21-2002, 12:52 PM   #6
PKRWUD

You want 4.9L answers, then ask me.

The TB will fit, but don't do it. Your best bet is to get the K&N FIPK, which BTW is the same part number for the 5.0 as it is for the 4.9 (for SD apps.). This will give you an ear to ear smile, but it will also take full advantage of the overly rich mixture that SD gives you. This means two things: more power, but less options. If you were to then add a larger TB, you would in effect overly lean out your mix. If you really want a bigger TB, then you need to get an adjustable FPR, and up the pressure.

Forget a cam, but you can add roller rockers.

My truck has 3.55's, and it's great. you will be very happy w/ 3.73's, but if you got 4.10's, you'd be shifting way too often.

Get off your arse and send me your axle code and I'll tell you what you have. If you have any other questions, I'm your 4.9L answer man.

Last but not least, forget about an aftermarket ignition box. The factory one you have is as good as any other, up to 5500 rpms, and you will NEVER intentionally take a 4.9L that high, so don't waste your money.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:56 PM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

O.K Mr. 4.9 answer man. Thanks for the answers. Now about the tach. I don't have a factory one. How much trouble would it be to add one? Are there any provisions for one? If I do install one, what should I set the shift light to. I don't want to blow up the motor. I'm at work now, so if you give me a few minutes, I'll go check on the axle code. Thanks.
Caymon

I just went and looked and the axle code is 12.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 08-21-2002 at 02:23 PM..
Old 08-21-2002, 05:28 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by bigred90gt
O.K Mr. 4.9 answer man.
LOL. That sounds funny, but I guess I asked for it.

Axle code 12 is the suckiest axle code you could have had.

Feel better yet?

You've got a one legger rear with 2.73's in it.

Sorry about the tach question, I forgot about that. Your truck is currently wired for a factory tach. If you found a cluster with a tach in it, it would install and work in 3 minutes, with no wiring mods to do. if you want to install an aftermarket tach, you wire it just like any other:
green wire to the neg. primary coil wire,
black wire to ground,
red wire to a 12 source that is hot when the key is in the ON position,
white or blue wire to a dash light circuit.

The shift points are pretty low. I usually shift around 2500 rpm, unless I'm in a hurry, when I'll take it to 3500 rpm. The 4.9L puts out it's peak hp at 3400 rpm, but it's torque peak is very low (2000 rpm, I believe). This is why they launch off the line so well. Don't ever try to exceed 4000 rpm. It will do it, but you won't be gaining anything, and like all straight six engines, it's got a long crankshaft to be exposing to that kind of pressure.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:18 AM   #9
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

By "one legger", do you mean it's not posi, and its not limited slip, it's just one lonely wheel driving the truck? If so that sucks, I thought about having posi put in, but the guy at the diff. shop told me it would be about $1000 for gears and posi installed. The mileage on the sigital odometer is programmed in to the odometer itself, correct? So if I find a cluster, it will have a differend mileage reading? Thanks for the info.
Caymon
Old 08-22-2002, 11:47 AM   #10
PKRWUD

Quote:
By "one legger", do you mean it's not posi, and its not limited slip, it's just one lonely wheel driving the truck? If so that sucks, I thought about having posi put in, but the guy at the diff. shop told me it would be about $1000 for gears and posi installed. The mileage on the sigital odometer is programmed in to the odometer itself, correct? So if I find a cluster, it will have a differend mileage reading? Thanks for the info.
Caymon
Limited slip and posi are the same thing, and no, you don't have it. $1000 sounds high, might want to call around.

The odometer works hand in hand with an item called the PSOM (programmable speedo/odo module, I think). I'll look into it for you.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #11
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought that limited slip had a "clutch", or friction plate of some kind, that when the drive wheel slipped beyond a certain point, the friction on the plate causes it to swell and grab, there fore engaging the "clutch" and turning the other wheel, and posi just turned both wheels all the time.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:10 PM   #12
PKRWUD

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the automotive world, that I am aware of. Your description of limited slip is excellent. it also happens to be the description for posi. The name posi comes from Posi-Traction, which is the trademarked name GM gave to their revolutinary new limited slip rear end in the late 50's/early 60's. Now, since any car that would even consider racing had enough power to break loose the driven wheel, theat meant the other would start spinning, too. Suddenly, the GM guys with their new "Posi" rear ends had both wheels spinning! Thus the name posi, and the concept that it made both wheels always spin, was born.

Don't forget to leave an apple on my desk.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-23-2002, 10:50 AM   #13
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll even shine the apple for you!
Old 08-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #14
PKRWUD

Quote:
I'll even shine the apple for you!
What a guy!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop