MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2002, 06:58 AM   #1
Vector
Registered Member

Default Good mods to start out on a 1988 F-150?

Hey, I have a completely stock AOD '88 f-150 with the 5.0L V8 and am thinking of modifying it for a bit more torque in the lower rpm range and of course some better off the line acceleration and handling. I'm not looking to do anything too serious (head swap, power adder) but I am thinking of 4.10s, adding true dual exhaust (with flows) K&N filter, and anything to tighten up the handling of this thing. Basically any cheap first mod suggestions to increase performance are welcome.

For exhaust, I get that adding headers and what not will just lower torque on a stock engine, right? On a stang then you would just run an H-pipe back with flowmasters or whatever else exhaust you want, but is a truck the same way? Gears is a no brainer, as for induction how about a cold air induction, oh btw what is the stock setup on an F-150 for induction? It looks to be just up near the front where the hood closes. What kind of MAF sensor/throttle body does it use? I have no idea where to start on the handling department, I'm not looking for redneckin' mud racin but to make it handle better on-road -- deffinately reduce body-roll and tighten up the suspension, maybe lower it even (but not too much).

Also I wonder what kind of 1/4 mile performance these things do stock and if there is even any point going out and seeing . Also any suggestions for future more serious modifications are welcome! (and how expensive it might be to make this thing fast, like 13 second 1/4 miles!)
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 11:24 AM   #2
Coupe Devil

Ok the gears are a must. I wanna swap mine in the 96 but aint gots no cahs right knoe. DO the exhaust thing. True duals with flows and dump it right out of the flows or get the universal Mac Produmps. have the exhaut shop make a custom h-pipe or x-pipe. I have a buddy with a pipe bender so were gonna experiment a little on my truck some day. Headers would also help. K&N makes what they call a Generation II FIPK. Not sure if they make one for the 88 but they really seemed to help my buddys 98. Also checl into gettin pullies, chip, and s Throttle body spacer. O plan on doing all these except the throttle body spacer. I have found no company that makes one for my 96 cause the way the throttle body is designed, huh sucks for me. Up to 96 the ford trucks still used speed density air metering I believe. Ford Racing makes a Mass Air conversion kit for your truck to but its real expensive if I remember correctly. Do some of the mods and let us know how it goes. My truck is gonna have some exhaust work done this weekend hopefully, I have a single inlet dual outlet flow on it know with tail pipes out the corners. I cant keep the tips clean and shiny so Im gonna cut them off and dump it right out of the flow. We'll see how its sounds, hopefully better....Mine also has had the convertors cut off.

Good Luck
Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:36 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

95 was the first year of mass air for the trucks and mass air was on the 5.0s only.

You're exhaust on your 88, with exception of the headers, will have to be all custom work. I don't know if Bassani makes any thing for the 5.0 truck or not. You might go to their website and check. Pony_power pretty much told everything that can be done without getting into the heads and intake. The heads, intake and cam are going to be a huge restriction in performance. They just weren't made/designed for it. If you really do want to go mass air just go to the salvage yard and get the setup, computer and all, off of a 95-96 5.0 F150. Hooker, Heddman, Pace Setter are some companies that have headers. If you can, get long tubes. You need torque to get the heavy truck truckin'. You can get a flat panel K&N filter for your truck. Get a air inlet tube from a 95 F250 460. It runs from the slot beside the radiator to the air filter box. Funnels the air from the grille right up to the air filter. There's your cold air induction. Very popular mod with us Lightning guys. The stock tube runs from right under the hood lip to the filter box. Uh, can we say RETARDED!! Use the mustang 5.0 pullies, March 1015s, which are the power and amp series. Keeps your alternator charge up. You could get a chip but it's not going to do much more than bump the timing, and maybe a couple other little things that you could do yourself. Bump your timing to about 14 degrees and run at least 91 octane or whatever octane works to get rid of the detonation (pinging). Also contact Pat at Level 10 transmissions and get yourself a shift kit. The Transpak shiftkit, made by B&M I believe, is also a pretty good one. The Level 10 kit is the best one though. Next you could throw on some Nitrous....