MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-21-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Help me with my friends Ranger!

He has a 85 ranger with a 4cly efi, which just died on him on his way home. It has spark all the way to the plugs, so thats not it. When he turns the key on, I dont hear his fuel pump kick in, nor do i hear the click of his fuel pump relay. (Suppose to click right, thats how my jeep was...) So im figuring its his relay, just wanted to check with you guys before we start buying stuff tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Help me with my friends Ranger!

Well, we replaced the relay and that did nothing, though i still didnt hear it click when he turned the key on. Do fords click like my jeep when the key it turned on? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Have you check to see if any fuel pressure is in lines if there is none its the fuel pump
that is bad and I would replace fuel filter too. And the relay doesnt click on fords. Now when you try to crank it does it sound like there is compression when cranking. If there is its a fuel problem.

06 Saleen S281SC Convertible 6spd
04 Freestar(wife)
66 mustang w/orig. Carroll Shelby racing 7 spoke 14X7's aluminum
02 pontiac sunfire 2.2 ecotec(great gas mileage) still GM junk
stanger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

Im sure there is compression, havent checked to see if there is fuel pressure, wouldnt know an easy way to go about that.... Reading around it seems like his truck has two fuel pumps, an in tank and a inline. Cant remember exactly which one was which, but i believe one to be a high pressure and one a low. Are they both supposed to run at the same time? Would one failing stop the other? thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

If it just died, even though you have spark, I'd say have the ignition module checked at your local parts store.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

Just tried to get the ignition module out, which turns out to be kinda hard! The thing is on the distributor, which is under the efi stuff and a PIA! I might end up pulling the distributor out, which i dont really want to do since i dont want to mess up the timing, never seems to go back right. I turned the key on and put a electrical tester (The ones you stick into stuff and they light up if they work) into the fuel pumps harness and I got no lights, so what would cause that? We replaced the fuel pump relay and that didnt do it. Would the ignition module play a role in that? Thanks guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: