MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-18-2002, 02:35 PM   #1
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Default Electrical Problem

Ok folks, here is my situation. 90 model GT with stock distributor and coil. I have no fire to the plug wires. I do have fire to the distributor. I pulled the coil wire off of the distributor and turned the motor over and I have fire. But when I pull a plug wire off I do not have fire. The distributor is turning. I tested the TFI module and everything checked out perfect. So, I went ahead and tried a different one and nothing changed. I tested the coil and it also tested fine. The relay also checked out. I have power to everything lights, radio, fuel pump, injector harness, etc.... I checked the voltages coming through the TFI harness and they all showed good. Is it possible I have a problem between the TFI harness and the computer? Or maybe a problem with the stator in the distributor? Has anyone had a problem like this before? The motor was running fine, I cut the key off and have had nothing since.

Thanks in advance.
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed, 5.0 bored .030" over, FRPP 65mm throttle body, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 70 mm MAF, Compcams XE264HR, FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP Heavy duty clutch, BBK offroad H-pipe, Dual-chamber Flows, Energy Suspension engine and tranny mounts
MustangGT1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default OMG

You just described my car (my 88), except I'm not even getting power to the distributer. Let me know what you do to solve this problem PLEASE!! Either PM me, or pull this up again when you do figure it out. Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
PKRWUD

You have power to the distributor, right? Forget about everything else then. Try replacing the cap and rotor first.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:55 PM   #4
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Very true pkrwud, but I'm starting to doubt that my coil is putting out enough voltage. I'm gonna test it tomorrow with a spark tester to see if it is sparking at full strength. I did all the resistance checks across the terminals and everything checked out but I'm still not confident that it is truly ok.

Still searching...
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed, 5.0 bored .030" over, FRPP 65mm throttle body, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 70 mm MAF, Compcams XE264HR, FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP Heavy duty clutch, BBK offroad H-pipe, Dual-chamber Flows, Energy Suspension engine and tranny mounts
Old 11-18-2002, 11:38 PM   #5
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by MustangGT1990
Very true pkrwud, but I'm starting to doubt that my coil is putting out enough voltage. I'm gonna test it tomorrow with a spark tester to see if it is sparking at full strength. I did all the resistance checks across the terminals and everything checked out but I'm still not confident that it is truly ok.

Still searching...
Chris is right. i have seen a bad cap do what has happened to you. also, what color is the spark? a bright orange indicated a weak spark. blue orange means a good spark. a really blue white spark knocks you on your asz!(MSD) make sure the gap isnt more than .060" when you test for spark coming out of the coil wire. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU GROUND YOUR SPARK or have a small gap when testing for spark(dont hold it away from a ground source too far). do not crank over and let it arc on the coil tower. you will prematurely kill you module and possible your coil. go from there.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:49 PM   #6
STROKER BILLY
Registered Member

Default PROBLEM!!!

did you get your problem solved? if not i will help you get it running.
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bmississippibadboys78747
Old 11-19-2002, 08:04 AM   #7
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help. I won't be able to work on it till this evening but I'll post again tonight and let you know how it is going.

Many thanks.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:01 PM   #8
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Update:

I worked on it again tonight and I have some new information. I hooked up a spark tester to the coil and I have awesome spark. I hooked it up to one of my plug wires and started turning the motor over and still had no spark. Then I started wiggling the clutch pedal a little while the motor was turning over and I got a spark! So I kept wiggling the clutch and got a spark every now and then. So, I took out the safety switch on the clutch pedal and tested it. I think it is bad. I hooked it back up and operated the plunger by hand and actually got the engine to fire up but it missed something awful and would not stay running very long. I also noticed that the switch was sticking. I'm not sure if this is all of my problems but I think it is shorting out inside the switch and going to ground. I'm gonna replace it tomorrow and try again. But it is definately an improvement from yesterday. I had absolutely no fire on the plugs at all. Now it will actually fire up for a few seconds.

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:39 AM   #9
NewAge 5.0
Registered Member

Red face

Thats weird never heard the switch on the clutch pedal causing such a fuss.. hmm.. best of luck keep us informed man.