MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do I run two operating systems on one computer? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=32165)

Hethj7 12-10-2002 07:04 PM

How do I run two operating systems on one computer?

Well, since my autocad won't work on XP, how hard is it to set up a separate OS (windows 98) on my computer just to run Autocad?

Is it very involved or even worth my time? Knowing my luck, unless this is a proven process, nothing will work on my system if I try this.

thdrcat 12-10-2002 09:48 PM

what 2 you wanna run? i assume you have XP, therefore you might have to format/reinstall to get anything non xp or 2000 to work. i will have better instructions once you tell me that.

Hethj7 12-10-2002 10:24 PM

I have XP and want to also run 98 just so that I can use Autocad. But, as said before, if it is a very involved process I may not try it. Computers, modifications, and myself usually don't get along too well.

Plug n' Play.....ha....usually a two hour call to tech support for me. Not because I am too stupid, but some software I am running is usually not compatible with what I am installing.

mustangII460 12-10-2002 11:28 PM

Its not really hard, just fry's alot of brain cells doing it.

Win9x must first be installed on a partition formatted with FAT or FAT32. FAT is usually always the first partition on the hard disk.

Then XP can be installed into its own partition. In that order only.

Microsofts website should have the details. I did it a while back with MS-DOS and XP PRO.

Now my brain hurts.

1969Mach1 12-10-2002 11:54 PM

Download Partition Magic, partition your hard drive into 2 seperate drives. Once this is done you set your primary drive as file format NTFS. This drive will have Windows XP installed on it. Then put in a boot disk go to install Windows 98, select to have it installed on the other drive (so not your primary one) also make sure to set it to Fat or Fat32 (Fat32 is best). Then bam your done. If you need better instructions feel free to ask. This is just a quick answer.

§am.

Hethj7 12-11-2002 12:59 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I will check out Microsoft's website. I may ask for some more help if I do it, but it already sounds like something I would screw up. If my computer wasn't brand new and running great right now, I may try, but I am kind of hesitant.

1969Mach1 12-11-2002 12:24 PM

My suggestion would be try to find a patch or some info on why it won't run on Windows XP. Software ususally shouldn't have any problems running different O/S like XP. It's usually hardware that won't be compatable but that was old news. Try updating your XP and your Autocad and you should be fine. ;)

§am.

Hethj7 12-11-2002 12:59 PM

I would do that, but I don't know that there is a patch out there. The newest version of Autocad only only runs on XP Pro. The site states they are shifting away from the home user and just to business applications.

Since my Autocad 2000 is an older version, it won't even begin to install itself on my XP system. If you do run across a patch or a solution to this, let me know.

PKRWUD 12-11-2002 02:16 PM

I have 4 operating systems on mine (OS 9.2, OS X 10.1, OS X 10.2, and Windows 98), but it's a Mac.

Take care,
~Chris

Shaggy 12-11-2002 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done a little research here is a patch attached I haven't tried it because autocad runs fine on my xp home so good luck.

as to PKRWD and his mac......:D

http://jovan.ru/pics/adolf_think.jpg

Hethj7 12-11-2002 03:58 PM

Shaggy - What version of Autocad are yoiu using. I am trying to install Autocad 2000, but when I try, it gives me a message saying Autocad doesn't support this OS (XP).

I downloaded the patch and when I ran it the command screen just pops up briefly. I can't even tell what it says on the screen. Should I being getting a prompt or a message on that screen saying the patch was run successfully?

Hethj7 12-11-2002 04:01 PM

Just curious....is that the patch that fixes the expiration problem on the trial version of the new autocad?

Shaggy 12-11-2002 04:55 PM

I am running both 14 and 2000. I have no idea what the patch really fixs or looks like doing it because i didn't need it i just found it looking for any compatibility issues on a search.

Hethj7 12-11-2002 08:12 PM

Weird, mine won't install. Maybe since it is not an original copy that may have something to do with it. I will have to do a little research. Thanks for the help though.