MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-07-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
Vandal_89
Registered Member

Question Mass Air Conversion on '92 5.8L for my F-250?

I converted my 87 Mustang from Speed Density to Mass Air and then did a bunch of engine mods. It really woke it up. I was wondering if anybodoy out there has ever done a Speed Density to Mass Air conversion on a 5.8 Pickup? If so I'm interested in some advice/lessons learned. I have a 1992 F-250 and would appreciate any advice such as:

What EEC unit does one use?

What wiring harness changes need to be made.

where do you put the MAF Meter?

Thanks
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.0L, Automatic, Gold

http://www.cardomain.com/id/vandal_89
Vandal_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 01:05 AM   #2
Coupe Devil

Summit makes a kit to convert 5.0 trucks to Mass Air. Now, since we convert out 5.0 stangs to 5.8 and keep the Mass air I dont see why it wouldnt work to buy the Summit kit and just install it on the 5.8./ PKRWUD might be of some better assistance, He's more up on the computer stuff than I am but I think that should work.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 02:16 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

What about the 5.8's that have the dual intake hoses? We need two mass air senors, how does that work?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 04:16 AM   #4
PKRWUD

How about 1 out of 3.

Wiring mods necessary to install MAF into a SD system.

You will need a MAF ECM with matching injectors.

Homemade MAF power signal harness into SD EEC IV connector (for use with a MAF ECM)

Parts:
MAF connector
4 wires
2 EEC IV connector pins

attach the 4 wires to the MAF connector

the wire in MAF connector pin:
"A" is spliced into the wire at EEC pin 37
"B" is spliced into the wire at EEC pin 40 or 60
"C" has a EEC pin soldered to the other end, and is inserted into location 9 in the EEC connector
"D" has a EEC pin soldered to the other end, and is inserted into location 50 in the EEC connector.

(if your MAF connector has 5 pins {A-E}, connect as above: A is the same, B is left empty, and C-E are the same as B-D above)

Smog Pump wiring at the EEC connector must be changed as follows:
Move the wire in position 51 to position 38
Move the wire in position 11 to position 32
If necessary, splice in extra wire to reach these new locations

I have attached the injector diagram. Leave injectors 1 and 2 the way they are and on the remaining injectors leave the VPWR the way they are also just adding the "trigger" (ground) wires from the processor to the injectors. Pin 12 is injector 3, pin 13 is injector 4, pin 14 is injector 5, pin 15 is injector 6, pin 42 is injector 7 and pin 52 is injector 8. Injector 1 remains pin 58 and injector 2 remains pin 59.

Take care,
~Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg wiring.jpeg (77.8 KB, 18 views)
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 02:54 PM   #5
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
How about 1 out of 3.

Wiring mods necessary to install MAF into a SD system.

You will need a MAF ECM with matching injectors.

Homemade MAF power signal harness into SD EEC IV connector (for use with a MAF ECM)

Parts:
MAF connector
4 wires
2 EEC IV connector pins

attach the 4 wires to the MAF connector

the wire in MAF connector pin:
"A" is spliced into the wire at EEC pin 37
"B" is spliced into the wire at EEC pin 40 or 60
"C" has a EEC pin soldered to the other end, and is inserted into location 9 in the EEC connector
"D" has a EEC pin soldered to the other end, and is inserted into location 50 in the EEC connector.

(if your MAF connector has 5 pins {A-E}, connect as above: A is the same, B is left empty, and C-E are the same as B-D above)

Smog Pump wiring at the EEC connector must be changed as follows:
Move the wire in position 51 to position 38
Move the wire in position 11 to position 32
If necessary, splice in extra wire to reach these new locations

I have attached the injector diagram. Leave injectors 1 and 2 the way they are and on the remaining injectors leave the VPWR the way they are also just adding the "trigger" (ground) wires from the processor to the injectors. Pin 12 is injector 3, pin 13 is injector 4, pin 14 is injector 5, pin 15 is injector 6, pin 42 is injector 7 and pin 52 is injector 8. Injector 1 remains pin 58 and injector 2 remains pin 59.

Take care,
~Chris

English Please!

So I take it that if I had all the parts, thats what I could do too?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 09-08-2002, 04:06 PM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

One big question is what tranny do you have in the 92? IF it's a 5 speed then you got it good. You can use a mustang mass air with the A9L computer. If you have the E4OD forget it unless you've got alot of cash to throw around. A mass air conversion kit for a 351W will run you around $1000 and the only one of the few that are even out there that's worth anything is the one by Pro-M. The motor and the tranny are controlled by two different computers so it makes it hard to do a mass air conversion and so the Summit 5.0 mass air conversion kit will not work.

FYI the 5.8 also uses a EEC4. Anyways, it's pretty hard to make your own but it is possible. There's a guy on the NLOC board that used to make them and has a list of everything needed to do it. If you REALLY want it I can email to you as I think I still have it from when he emailed to me. Also you'd have to rig up your own air inlet tube going from the MAF to your dual throttle body set up (we don't have to worry about that on our Lightnings as they come stock with the GT40).

Save yourself the hassle and money and stay with the SD setup. The mass air really won't help. Alot of the GEN 1 guys that have done it actually lost ET with it. You don't need mass air, period. You can change anything on that motor, except the cam and the injectors, and the SD will be just fine. If you change the cam just stay with a speeddensity friendly cam (keeps enough vaccum to let the SD work) and you'll be fine. Check out mustangman65_79's post in this forum about his bronco where he and I have been talking about this. You can change the 19 lb injectors to 24 lb without major problems, but you'll some power because the computer doesn't know you changed injectors and still runs them as 19 lb'ers.

If you ever get to where you would need something like mass air, say you want a really healthy cam in a N/A application (higher compression, stroker, etc.) a big blower, turbo, or alot of nitrous oxide then you need to get the EEC tuner or the new one called the twEECer. This lets you completely program/tune your trucks computer COMPLETELY (any parameter) as many times as you want to for what ever mod, etc. Basically like burning a chip over and over and over......... And you'll still never need mass air. And the EEC tuner only costs about $360 (can't remember exact figure) compared to a mass air conversion of $1000. Go over to the National Lightning Owners Club site (link in my sig below) and go do a search for topics on mass air in the GEN 1 forum and you'll find all you need to know about it there. I don't know how much the twEECer is. It's a new one (basically a updated EEC tuner that's a little easier to use from what I hear). We have a dealer/tuner for the EEC tuner and twEECer on the NLOC site. You can scroll down to Performance Specialties on the Supporting Vendors section and talk to Raymond B. He's the MAN for that stuff. It's just crazy what you can do with those things (both motor and tranny by the way).

Last edited by 95GTS; 09-08-2002 at 04:25 PM..
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:54 PM   #7
Vandal_89
Registered Member

My '92 F-250 has a 5.8 with a 5 Spd. I was hoping to convert to mass air so I could change the cam and increase the injector size. What I am looking for is better low end torque and greater horsepower. I was thinking that mass air might just be the ticket. The truck is mainly used to tow my Snowmobiles, ATVs, and miscellaneous trailers such as my ~8000 RV. But I also use it alot in the fall foing off-road getting to out of the way elk & deer hunting locations (usually through mud and snow).

I know with my '87 mustang I was getting like 18 mpg and when I put header, off-road h-pipe, changed injectors to 24 lbs and went to Mass air i got almost 22 mpg. My pickup get 12 mpg now.... and towing my ~8000 lb trailer it gets like 8 mpg.

I'm assuming that the A9L conversion will use the same wiring harness and wiring pin change for a mustang Mass Air Conversion When did my mustang conversion I thing the most expensive parts were the computer and MAF.
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.0L, Automatic, Gold

http://www.cardomain.com/id/vandal_89
Vandal_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:44 PM   #8
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

U only get 12mpg?!? In my bronco I get 12mpg with a c6 3-speed.
And that was with 32" tires and 148,000 miles on it.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 09-09-2002, 10:21 AM   #9
95GTS
Git jiggy

Quote:
Originally posted by Vandal_89
My '92 F-250 has a 5.8 with a 5 Spd. I was hoping to convert to mass air so I could change the cam and increase the injector size. What I am looking for is better low end torque and greater horsepower. I was thinking that mass air might just be the ticket. The truck is mainly used to tow my Snowmobiles, ATVs, and miscellaneous trailers such as my ~8000 RV. But I also use it alot in the fall foing off-road getting to out of the way elk & deer hunting locations (usually through mud and snow).

I know with my '87 mustang I was getting like 18 mpg and when I put header, off-road h-pipe, changed injectors to 24 lbs and went to Mass air i got almost 22 mpg. My pickup get 12 mpg now.... and towing my ~8000 lb trailer it gets like 8 mpg.

I'm assuming that the A9L conversion will use the same wiring harness and wiring pin change for a mustang Mass Air Conversion When did my mustang conversion I thing the most expensive parts were the computer and MAF.
Be very happy with that 12 mpg in your F250 Ext. Cab 4x4. That's as good as you'll probably ever get. Remember your truck is VERY heavy. That mass air will do nothing for your gas mileage. If it did I'd be VERY suprised. I'd say 12 mpg is pretty good. Your best bet on cam is to get a custom one ground by Terry at Cam Motion. They can grind you a custom speeddensity cam and you may pick up gas mileage there (who knows) but you'd for sure get more power. As for the injectors I'd just leave them alone. 24 lb injectors will do nothing for gas mileage and the 19s are plenty for the power you'll have. Go ahead and change to the GT40 intake as well (whether you do mass air or not) like I mentioned in my email to you. Your biggest restriction is those crap heads. You might think about at least getting a set of GT40 cast iron heads, too. You can pick those up used for around $300 easily. Do the heads, intake, custom grind cam and you'll be VERY happy. And it might just increase your gas mileage and for sure a good increase in power. Much better money spent on that rather than the mass air set up IMO.