MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
cucho
Registered Member

Default South Side Machines Lift Bars.....

Hello my friends, im just asking if any one ever tried the SSM lift bars because i heard are very good ill tried to buy it but there are not availeable and i went for the lakewood and are amazing the thing is this the jegs have a lot of orders for this SSM lift bars and this company never response to jegs so jegs start to built this lift bars this is the home page http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...57&prmenbr=361

I just want to now if the SSM are so good that a lot of people said.
cucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have never used them but I see lots of 10 second cars with them so they must be pretty good.

Last edited by Dark_5.0; 01-28-2004 at 01:03 PM..
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: South Side Machines Lift Bars.....

Quote:
Originally posted by cucho
Hello my friends, im just asking if any one ever tried the SSM lift bars because i heard are very good ill tried to buy it but there are not availeable and i went for the lakewood and are amazing the thing is this the jegs have a lot of orders for this SSM lift bars and this company never response to jegs so jegs start to built this lift bars this is the home page http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...57&prmenbr=361

I just want to now if the SSM are so good that a lot of people said.
Whats up Cucho,
Hey man I have them. I never had the urge to replace them yet!
The only problem I hear is, the people who do a lot of street driving have alot more problems with there torque boxes then with any other lower control arm! (solid joints) If you get and install the "battle boxes" from wild rides you shouldn't have any problems then. But IMO they work awsome, not to say there is now a better control arm, but I haven't yet needed to replace them.
(Maybe this year with the new combo,...we'll see.)
Good luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
GhOsT6_9
Registered Member

I have them on mine, only taken it for a spin around the block with them on, and they work great. Have to wait till spring to see how they work at the track.
5.0L, T-5, 1969 351W heads, cut & welded stock plenum, F-303 cam, Mac 1 5/8 full length headers, Cat'd H-pipe, 3.73 gears, Underdrives, SSM lift bars, E-Fan, 3G Alt, Custom Chip, Autometer gauges, Weld Draglite wheels , M/T ET Street Radials

Best 1/4: 13.33@101.53MPH
GhOsT6_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default SSM lift

I used to run them...but my car sees a lot of street duty. They completely ripped apart my torque boxes. I repaired my boxes by following an old article of MM&FF where they use 3 brackets on each torque box to help give it some reinforcement. I added a 4th bracket just to help stiffen things up. I got rid of the SSM lift bars...put the stock lower control arms back on and bought Lakewood traction bars. They work great...and I've actually turned a better 60ft. time (1.67) with the slapper bars. Even if your car is strictly for the track...you're going to have to beef up those tin cans that Ford calls torque boxes. The metal is ridiculously thin where the lower control arms bolt onto the chassis.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: SSM lift

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
I used to run them...but my car sees a lot of street duty. They completely ripped apart my torque boxes. I repaired my boxes by following an old article of MM&FF where they use 3 brackets on each torque box to help give it some reinforcement. I added a 4th bracket just to help stiffen things up. I got rid of the SSM lift bars...put the stock lower control arms back on and bought Lakewood traction bars. They work great...and I've actually turned a better 60ft. time (1.67) with the slapper bars. Even if your car is strictly for the track...you're going to have to beef up those tin cans that Ford calls torque boxes. The metal is ridiculously thin where the lower control arms bolt onto the chassis.
WOW!!!
My car was the exact opposite!!! Wow.
(At the time) I had the lakewood traction bars (painted to match too.) and my car would spin the tires threw 2nd gear. Then I put on the SSM and after that I could only bark the tires in second! And that annoying secondery bang (after hitting a pot hole or something0 was gone!!!
Yes,... the SSM tear up the torque boxes, that why I rec. the battle boxes. If your still worried there is always other lower control arms out there like the mega-bites.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
cucho
Registered Member

Hello Denis, Well when i install the lakewood lift bars i also put a pair of air bags into the spring i use 35 psi on the left bag, and i improve my 60 ft. 1.72 to 1.67, and i use the cars all days in street , so im very happy with the work of the lift bars, now im going for the upper adjustable control arms and put the rear end too -4 degrees.
cucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cucho
Hello Denis, Well when i install the lakewood lift bars i also put a pair of air bags into the spring i use 35 psi on the left bag, and i improve my 60 ft. 1.72 to 1.67, and i use the cars all days in street , so im very happy with the work of the lift bars, now im going for the upper adjustable control arms and put the rear end too -4 degrees.
Well, good luck Cucho with your new upper control arms. I also had an airbag, but put it on the right rear spring and only put 8-9 pounds of air in it. But cool, keep lifting those front tires!
Dennis