MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-01-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
91LXConv
Registered Member

Question Where is the output shaft?

In order to determine whether or not I want to go forward with a rear gear change, I need to get a look at my AOD's output shaft to determine if it has 7 or 8 teeth. Where is the output shaft and how can I get it where I can see it?
PS- my car: 91 5.0 LX with an AOD
91LXConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:27 PM   #2
Z28EATR
Registered Member

get the car off the ground, at least the rear end, undo the bolts connecting the drive shaft and pull the front of the drive shaft out of the back of the tranny, count the teeth on the output shaft which is what the yoke of the drive shaft fits over. There might be an easier way but i dont have a whole lot of mechanic smarts. Just enough to get the job done, beware of tranny fluid spilling out when you remove the drive shaft. Also mark the rear end of the shaft in conjuction to where it connects to the rear end so as not to unbalance it when you put it back, a little white out or in my case a nice scratch mark with my dremel.

good luck
Z28EATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
jchambers

I think what '91 is talking about is the 7 or 8 tooth speedo drive that is machined into the output shaft of the AOD. Unlike the T5's, the drive gear of the speedo is integral with the output shaft; the only way to change the drive gear is to replace the entire output shaft...not a pretty picture.

Anyways, the easiest way I can say to do it is to remove the speedo driven gear from the transmission housing then use a flashlight and mirror to look down into the speedo hole and count the teeth.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.97 Seconds/114.5 MPH
Chambers Racing Team