MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
Gasman
Registered Member

Question Lack of rear lube style output shaft for pre 1987 AODs’. Failure with 3.55,3.73.

Hi, new guy here. Great web site. Here goes nothing. I have a 1987 AOD, Conv. GT (heay car) with 35k original miles. I’m Installing a Baumann AOD Valve Body Recalibration Kit , Overdrive “A” Servo Assembly, and going to use Red Line AFT transmission fluid. Have already installed B&M Transmission cooler. My understanding from what I’ve read is that 1987 AOD’s do not have the rear lube type output shaft (1988 was first year). Because of this going to 3.55,3.73 or 4.11 rear end gears I could have transmission planetary gears failure do to lack of lubricant. So my first Question would be is this true? If it is true will my Transmission Modifications take care of it? Second question would be is they’re anyone out there with a 1987 or pre 1987 AOD with 3.55,3.73 or 4.11 gears that’s experienced problems or no problems? My Goal is to have 275-290 rear wheel horse power with this OEM transmission without killing it. There will be non-of that 1,d, 1 stuff going on. Thanks in advance.
Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 02:10 AM   #2
macx
Registered Member

I believe it's Baumann that has a retrofit shaft
just for that purpose - to provide the better
rear geartrain lube to the pre-88 AOD's.

For another nifty lube mod, actually to pressure
lube the rear output shaft bearing which is good
for deeper gears and hiway use, see www.tccoa.com, their tech articles, "trans 10" by Jerry, go to
one of the later pages.

I've collected a bunch of AOD upgrade info -
you can do lots of inexpensive durability upgrades, incl with later model stock parts out of AOD/E's and 4R70W's - email me if you'd like it. macx@eoni.com
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:13 PM   #3
Gasman
Registered Member

Hi, Macx

Thanks for taking the time to send me a reply on my post.
Like you said there are a lot of sites with great information about upgrading your AOD transmission using parts from the AOD-E/4R70W transmissions, 2” overdrive bands, larger clutch packs, wider gear sets etc.
Unfortunately they require the removal of the transmission to implement. Using the rear lube style output shaft that is sold by baumann would require the total disassembly of my transmission, which at this time I really don’t have the technical expertise (Just starting to do my on modifications). I went to the tccoa web site in transmission 101 and I did not see the article about pressure lubing the rear output shaft bearing . Could you clip and past that section and email it to me. I am going to take another look at the web site. Thought there would be more replies to my post. There has to be Guys out there running 3.55, 3.73, and 4.11 Gears in 1985,1986, and 1987 AOD Mustangs. Well thanks again.

gasman
Old 02-05-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
macx
Registered Member

About the rear lube, they've got the article
set up so you can't clip/copy/save, or anything,
but that info is on page 12.

You have to take the extension housing off which
means supporting the trans, loosening/relocating
the rear trans support, and dropping the tailpipes
down from the headers - not easy, but at least
the trans doesn't have to come out.

Probably not worth it unless you do lots of
hi speed driving with the deep gears.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 03:28 PM   #5
Gasman
Registered Member

Think I’ll be conservative and go with 3.55 gears and see what happens. If planetary gears and bushing fail it will give me a good excuse to buy a performance transmission. Thanks.