MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Who wants the post count returned?
Bring back rthe post counts 16 61.54%
Ditch the post counts 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 10:03 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default post count poll

At the risk of further pissing off Dan about the post count, just for giggles, I would like to see a show of hands all in favor or the post count being returned.
Dan , in the event of an overwhelming approval to bring back the post count, would you reconsider?
I agree with Pkrwud , the post count can be a useful tool in many cases.
With that being said, who here votes to bring back the post counts?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Dude your brave!!! heehee You should of added a who doesnt care either way vote!!!

See Ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Old 09-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #3
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Dan:

honestly...its really bothering me that I cant directly see how new a person is to the forum....is there a way to change it so the post count is only listed until the person reaches 25 posts or something? i like to be able to see (like i said, directly) it when a person comes in new to the forum and posts his/her first couple posts...that way not only can i attempt to assist any questions to help him feel welcome, but also greet him in...but this would in no way affect the post cost wars that were going on since it would only be there for people new to the forum...its a quick an easy way to see if a person showed up today or a year ago IMO....i see no reason not to as long as it's possible...

Jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
Old 09-01-2002, 12:53 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hmmm... Let's see. It's been expressly stated the topic is to be dropped, numerous times. It's been stated why the policy has gone into effect, numerous times. I know you think it's cute to turd all over the owner/operator of this site, but how about you grow up? Sometimes policies which are unpopular at first turn out to be a good idea. The Mustang community was very skeptical of the modular engines when they first came out. The DOHC 4.6L blew the 5.0HO out of the water in performance, and it has proven to be much more coveted now than the venerable SN95 5.0L Cobra's. The 1999 Mustang was absolutely thrahsed by Mustang enthusiasts as UGLY when it hit the scene. It's now considered one of the best looking. Maybe this is a topic to be addressed in 3 months when there is an actual track record of feelings behind the change.

Post whoring on this site has become obscene. Wading through 20 posts about nothing but crap or a member saying "lol" as an entire reply is annoying, and it degrades this site. There is no reason to have such posts other than a direct competition. It wastes bandwidth, it wastes resources, and makes otherwise great threads a tedious waste of time.

I liked the post count. I was proud of mine. One of the reasons I left was the lack of respect for them, and post whoring that was quickly whiddling away my accomplishments. Almost all my posts had some sort of insight, and meaningful information. As a long standing MW member, I had probably the highest post count over a tenure of multiple years of anybody here, and that was cool. It meant I was helping people and learning. Now, with some members posting 10, 15, 20, even 25 times in a single day, it's just become a joke. Post counts are worthless so they can be eliminated in my opinion.

Every time I come back to this site to check up on how things are looking it seems to get worse. My hiatus has been months, and for the most part, my posts few and far between. There have been a couple posts about missing senior members here. Perhaps they feel the same way. That Mustangworks is nothing more than any other Mustang site at this point? I know I feel pretty much that way. For as many 1000s of hours I've spent here, that's a pretty harsh thing to say, and I don't think it should be taken lightly. I don't know if the old Mustangworks can be brought back. Guess I'll just have to keep swingin by and taking a look.

Here's some advice. Take a hint, and show some respect. Dan made it pretty clear this was a dead topic at this time for sure, anyway.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
jj_jonathon
Trisket

ive been at school all week and missed a lot of the hooplah that went on....i checked up this weekend when i came home, after scrolling a little further down in the forum i see i shouldve sent dan my request in a PM....i agree that in general that it should be dropped tho...this thread should be closed too...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
Old 09-01-2002, 08:53 AM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

Unit , I'm not trying to disrespect Dan or anyone else for that matter. I've read the reasons why the post count was dropped and tend to slightly agree but I can also see how it was a good thing too. It really doesn't matter to me either way. It took me two days to realize the post count was gone. If you asked me, I'd personally like to see it brought back but it's not my decision to make. I'm merely stating an opinion and was curious to the other user's opinions on this board....nothing more
What kind of a society do we live in where we can't even state opinions about our rules and regulations?
Nobody's whining or disrespecting anyone here about this topic.
If Dan final decision is to drop the post count, so be it. I'll respect whatever decision he makes either way.
Just dont tell me that I'm acting disrespectfully or immaturely when I wasn't trying to be.
I think I nade it clear in the beginning that my poll was for giggles out of pure curiousity. Forgive me for being curious. WOW!!!
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:46 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
Unit , I'm not trying to disrespect Dan or anyone else for that matter. I've read the reasons why the post count was dropped and tend to slightly agree but I can also see how it was a good thing too. It really doesn't matter to me either way. It took me two days to realize the post count was gone. If you asked me, I'd personally like to see it brought back but it's not my decision to make. I'm merely stating an opinion and was curious to the other user's opinions on this board....nothing more
What kind of a society do we live in where we can't even state opinions about our rules and regulations?
Nobody's whining or disrespecting anyone here about this topic.
If Dan final decision is to drop the post count, so be it. I'll respect whatever decision he makes either way.
Just dont tell me that I'm acting disrespectfully or immaturely when I wasn't trying to be.
I think I nade it clear in the beginning that my poll was for giggles out of pure curiousity. Forgive me for being curious. WOW!!!
Ah yes.... the free society schpeal. As it has never been mentioned before on this website it's not a democracy. While I feel there is a certain amount of say members should, and do have on this site, purposely adding a thread on to what has been declared an off limit topic IS disrespectful. Whether or not you were trying to be. There have been at least 3 threads with noticable comments related to the decision. Probably better than 100 posts. Members voiced their concerns and Dan said the choice is made. I wouldn't have a problem if the topic was posted in November or something. That at least gives people some time to get used to the change, and see if it's really all that important to get into a tissy about it. You started the topic immediately after 3 other threads were closed, and still in plain view. Do you think the moderators and Dan close topics just out of the blue for no reason?

I have pushed the envelope here as much as anybody else, but I generally had some respect for when topics were declared dead. I don't think it's a bad topic or thread. Just really poor timing that makes it disrespectful.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:01 PM   #8
StangFlyer
Founder

82 GT - Don't worry about it, and I am not mad at you specifically. If anything, I am just tired of the hassles received in general over what are really minor things.

However, trust me, in my or the msg board administrators shoes it feels like you're getting beat to death about every decision or change you make on the forums all the time. And, it gets old. Especially when you're the one flipping the bill to keep the site operating month to month. Mustang Works does not make me some big income, trust me. In fact, I lost $30K last year running it and this year it's looking like I might only manage to break even. And, the kind folks who work on the staff do so for free, out of their own interests, motivations, and willingness to help and be a part of the site. Some times it really gets to the point where you start asking yourself "is it even worth it" when crap like this whole post count explosion takes place...

You know, if I didn't really think the change would have a positive improvement in the long run I wouldn't have decided to do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I see that's the case in down the road I can always bring it back. In the mean time, I don't think I, or my staff, should be given such a hard time about it that we start to feel MW isn't even worth the hassle any more.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Old 09-01-2002, 03:42 PM   #9
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

I really don't see what the post count number has to do with knowledge?? I guess if John Force joined the site and he had 1 post he isn't smart?? Post count just shows how much people post and what not. I don't see where it's that big of a deal.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:19 PM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

HA!!!!!!

LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE (especially you, Unit)! Go read the new and updated rules section. We understand that this is a done deal (hopefully), but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it. This is the Blue Oval Section. As long as the post isn't rude and doesn't violate the rules, don't try to limit what someone else may or may not post about. TBH, I am a little tired of seeing posts about this subject also, but if someone still wants to post about the same topic, so what. If everyone is really tired of it, they won't reply and it'll just fade away. Calm down (love ya)

Thanks Dan for replying to this post. I would kinda like the post count to come back, but then again, for reasons as very well stated by Unit 5302 in the post above, ideas that may seem bad at first may turn out great. I for the most part had the same negative opinions about the 4.6L and '99 stangs, but understood that Ford has been doing this car business stuff for decades and for the most part, I trust their judgement. Dan is the owner of this site and I've seen what he and his staff have done in the past years I've been here and I trust his judgement (maybe even a little more than Ford's).

I think the biggest problem for all the people who don't like the deletion of post counts (which still partially remains) is the fact that since they have been here so long and have had a post count, they feel like they are misssing something that has been taken away. What if it were never here in the first place???? If so, I doubt there would be such great controversy concerning it.
Another thing, I'm sure there are a lot of veteran posters (2000+ posts) who see some "newbie" posters catching up to them fast (with stupid posts) and there revered place in MW is being cheapened. You guys, have some issues as well, whoever you are.

Dan, I for one trust your judgement. You have done a GREAT job and service to this board and the Mustang community all over the nation. Please do not take this lightly. I really mean what I've said. Yeah, I miss the post count, but I think it's gone for the good. I think you did a good compromise by not totally getting rid of it. You also need to stand by your judgement and don't bring it back. Good job.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 09-01-2002, 05:08 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You know? Kiss mine! I'm so sick of being told to lighten up when I'm not even slightly angry. It's become some sort of bullshit reply that every little prick on the MW seems to be fond of posting about every time I make a post. Unit, lighten up man, it's illegal to have an opinion on this site because of politically correct geeks like "insert user name here."

Just because I have a difference of opinion doens't mean I'm pissed. You've now accomplished the task of getting me officially pissed by attempting to scold me. In the rarity that I am actually pissed I do believe I make it known as you can see.

I'm sorry I'm not some flowery, follow the leader butt-muffin like so many politically correct people are. Telling ME to read the rules? Excuse me but it's right in the fricking rules that you don't start a thread with the same premise as a topic has already been locked down in plain view. It's antagonistic.

Damn, now that I think about it, don't even know why I'm bothering to post here. It is nice to remember why the hell I left though.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:20 PM   #12
TXinPA
Registered Member

If ya wanna know if someone is a newbie or not... how about looking at their REGISTERD DATE. huhuhu.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #13
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Okay guys this is getting a little heated Unit don't leave, you can have your opinion. Sometimes by our words it is hard to tell if the person is mad or not, this is the internet it is hard to see people's face and their expression..... Sounds like you guys are just misunderstanding each other. I did the same thing too awhile back I misunderstood some one and thought they were being rude but turns out they werent soooo can we please just all get along!!!

See Ya,
Karen
SQ Goddess
Old 09-01-2002, 06:50 PM   #14
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation oh my! no post count? OH NOOOOOO!

i dont see the big deal here. why is the post count so critical? is it you want attention or recognition for what you posted? give me a break!

i started posting on MW and i didnt look at the post count when i asked someone a technical or a general question. guess what, i still dont.

what is the deal that some people think other people are "upset" or "pissed: because of the style of writing that they use in their post? Unit isn't mad as he has mentioned many times in the past and present. that is his style of writing and how he expresses himself on this board. people are going to have to learn other peoples style of writing. just because someone is blunt and says it how it is, doesnt mean they are jerks or know-it-alls.

i am glad the post count isnt visible. we dont need competition between other members cause of a number. that is just plain stupidity. its not like you win a prize either!

As for PKRWUD mentioning how he disagrees or he dislikes the idea, i personally think he is wrong. everyone that has been here for awhile already knows who he is and if a newbie comes along and asks a question and some of us cant answer it, guess who's name comes up? you guessed it, PKRWUD! no need for a post count there.

UNIT, if you go, make sure you write us!
Old 09-01-2002, 06:53 PM   #15
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Talking

Ha. That's why I've always liked you Unit. Getting a rise out of you is too easy (even though that was not my intention).

I hope no one is really getting pissed in this thread. It's not worth the increased blood pressure. Save pissivity for when it's truly needed. Later........
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 09-01-2002, 06:54 PM   #16
82 GT
Import Slayer

.......and then you wonder why threads get closed!!!
It's because of this! It seems the longer a thread goes on, the further from the original subject it gets.
Foxbody is right. If the post count wasn't there to begin with there wouldn't be a problem now. Hell, I'm also a member over at Stangnet and they don't keep track of post counts and was no big deal to me because it wasn't there to begin with.
It's just that people don't like things taken away from them no matter how minor it may seem sometimes.

Foxbody , check your PM
Old 09-01-2002, 07:06 PM   #17
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

WHAT srv1 no prize!!!!???????!!!!!!!! Dang it!!!!!
SQ Goddess
Old 09-01-2002, 09:37 PM   #18
PKRWUD

Default Re: oh my! no post count? OH NOOOOOO!

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
As for PKRWUD mentioning how he disagrees or he dislikes the idea, i personally think he is wrong. everyone that has been here for awhile already knows who he is and if a newbie comes along and asks a question and some of us cant answer it, guess who's name comes up? you guessed it, PKRWUD! no need for a post count there.
Just to clarify, I wasn't disappointed that the count was moved because I wanted recognition, hell, sometimes I'd much rather have anonymity! I liked it where it was because it helped me. It may not have been an accurate representation of a member's knowledge, but I still used it to help me identify members. Combined with their location and membership date, it was much easier for me to pinpoint who it was that made the post, or replied to one. For example, recently several people confused 1BAD302 with 1BAD89. I would have as well, but could tell right away by the post count who was who. I admit I'm not as sharp as a lot of people when it comes to remembering member names. Especially with so many that are very similar. Perhaps I partied too much in the 1980's, I dunno, I don't really remember too much of that decade, but it was nice to have the count there to help me. If they pulled the location and registration date as well, it wouldn't be worth the effort for me to even try.

As far as posting a simple "LOL" reply, I'm guilty of that, but certainly never did it to increase my post count. The mere suggestion in itself is laughable. I am often a man of few words. In everyday conversation, I will often reply to something someone said with a one or two word remark, and sometimes just a laugh. Why is it wrong here to be the same way? I could see that point in a tech forum, but not in BOL. Am I supposed to become a different person here than the person I am in the real world? I hope not, because I'm not into that.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 09-01-2002, 09:49 PM   #19
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

omg people let's stop beating a dead horse, it's off , so that's it, i even quit looking at my count after 3,000, big deal so in closing, lol.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Old 09-01-2002, 11:14 PM   #20
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
omg people let's stop beating a dead horse, it's off , so that's it, i even quit looking at my count after 3,000, big deal so in closing, lol.
Beating a CRAZY HORSE?
Closed Thread