MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2002, 02:32 AM   #1
Example
Registered Member

Default Ranger 5.0 H.O need swap tips

Well hello to all first things first. I am about to swap a 5.0 H.O into a 1997 Ford ranger Reg.Cab Short Box. First of all can anyone tell me what wires i am goin to need? I got the engine wireing harness all the way to the computer. I also got tht wires to the Fuel Pump. Now there were a couple of other wires i that went to the alternator and the ingnition ****. So i decided to take the whole dash and fuse block **** and some misc ****. Now can i just hook up the ignition wires that went to the old fuese box hook them up to the ones for the ranger or do i got to do somethin different? Next i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i am goin to have to move trany x-member and motor mounts a lot more or will the explorer 50 ones work and what do u sugest i should do for rear end and drive shaft ect. ect? if u could give me any suggestions that would help just e-mail me or somethin
Example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #2
mikew88gt
Registered Member

Have you checked these guys out yet? www.kaufmannproducts.com They make a lot of pieces for just this kind of swap. I think the stock rear end for the ranger will be a 8.8 but might not be a traction-loc. Not sure about the drive shaft and transmission crossmember.

My 1988 Mustang GT
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:47 AM   #3
Coupe Devil

Good answer Mike, Its true Kauffman has all the swap parts you need I ordered a swap catalog / instruction manual from them a while back and its very informative.. with pictures added. Real nice little book and nice peopel to deal with. I suggest them highly.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
Example
Registered Member

Thank u for all the help I will have to give them a call one more question though will i have to change my front springs so that it handles like a mustang and has less body roll i know it dont have the same stearing but with the stock springs wont that make it kinda bouncy and crappy for handeling
Example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:56 PM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Also check out this website. http://www.rangerpowersports.com/ They have a V8 specific forum for the ranger.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Slimjim
Registered Member

Theres a book you should buy, i cant remember the link, But RPS has it on their v8 page, its to harwood performance, he sells year specific swap books. Also, you need the old wiring harness also, because of the PDB (Power distribution box) under the hood, you need that big block connector, so it will plug into the truck harness.
Slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
Slimjim
Registered Member

Theres a book you should buy, i cant remember the link, But RPS has it on their v8 page, its to harwood performance, he sells year specific swap books. Also, you need the old wiring harness also, because of the PDB (Power distribution box) under the hood, you need that big block connector, so it will plug into the truck harness.
Slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote