View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
SVT30
Registered Member

Default Re: "Positive HP & TQ Gains - SVT Cobra?"

Okay . . .

First, appreciate the initial replies from Hammer & Dark_5.0.

This will appear a little long, be that as it may, please indulge, thank you.

Actually have two Cobras, one is mine the other my nearest and Dearest. Both are stone stock. Probably will not mess with her 2001 for now.

The one of interest is ’99 Coupe with 17K miles, previous “older” one owner. Has been to Ford SVT Dealer for make over from Ford’s HP snafu. The car is a five speed, 3:27 final drive, as mentioned stone stock right down to the factory shifter. Had car checked [popped valve covers, et cetera], everything is at, or actually better than tolerance. Exceptionally clean inside and out. No door dings, hardly any rock chips.

Runs extremely well, loves to rev, makes it to the upper rev band with easy abandon, even the Ford shifter works quite well, haven’t missed third yet.

Bought it because price was right and wanted “stock” Cobra that hadn’t been abused. Car has absolutely no after market stuff on it, period. Big reason I bought it. Also it is Electric Green, with two-tone Parchment interior, really different look, one I really like. Must help the interior also, that Ford ignored. To date, Ford always seems to skip over interiors. Hope new Mustang holds the interior shown to date.

The above will change however, based on my initial post.

Hammer, understand your issue with dyno versus cumulative. However, in the past when modifying a car, each added perf mod did accumulate onto to the other. Suffice it to say, we didn’t take one mod off then check dyno for each as we went [cost].

Only times we would “take off” a mod is when the dyno went the other way. Rarely happens, to be sure, but . . .

This time I won’t have easy/cheap access to a dyno to check add of each mod.

Hammer talks about chip versus tuner. Though, his recommendation is more of a programmable chip.

He also mentions a cat back exhaust.

As for nitrous, not for me, thanks.

Dark mentions gears. Experience others guys have with gearing would help. 3:73? 4:10? Such radical gearing makes one wish for a 6-speed, does it not?

Dark also talks about cat back exhaust. What HP increase would one get going from Ford stainless stock Cobra exhaust to a good after market cat back? Anyone have dyno experience here? Classically, what has been claimed for such a mod? Yes, I can read manufacturers’ claims, but would appreciate other’s thoughts.

This may sound a bit strange. My primary interest at this point is bumping HP & TQ, without super or turbo charging as in previous post. Therefore, I’ll probably wait on gearing, at least for now.
- - - - -

Really appreciate the feedback, it will help me, as well others who may be contemplating modifying their Cobra rides.

Another sub-subject. What would you begin with? Exhaust? Chip? Other?

Thanks guys . . .

And please anyone else who wishes to shed light on the subject, do feel free.

p.s., There’s a guy I know with a 2001 SS Camaro who lives down the road apiece. Eventually I want a piece of him. But, not right now. So help me become competitive [I assume right now, he’d kick my a**], yet be able to live with my car in regular duty. And yes, if I must go for gearing to make it happen [the SS Camaro], I will. Some say I have a chance, others say not. What say you?
SVT30 is offline   Reply With Quote