View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Default grr...starting problems..any ideas?

So here is the deal. For the last 6-8 months, I've been fighting with starting problems with the 351W in my '65. When the car is cold, or only mildly warm it'll start up like a champ...it'll fire on the first couple of clicks. My problem is that when the car is at operating temperature (as in I've driven 3 or 4 miles and then shut it down) the car will not restart. It cranks REALLY slowly, especially at first, and usually will speed up a little bit...but still will not start untill after it has 30 or so minutes to cool (not vapor locked either, getting plenty of fuel). I really can't figure this out, I'm really disapointed because I just finished putting the motor back in the car after being out for months, and the problem is still there even with a ton of new parts.

Here's what has changed: The entire top end (alum heads, comp cam, cobra rockers, pushrods, intake, etc), Starter, Starter solenoid, battery, all the cables, plug wires, distributor, coil, plugs, etc. - Pretty much everything that has to do with starting, and a bunch of stuff that doesn't. Yet, the problem remains unchanged.

What am I overlooking??? Could there be something wrong with the engine internally that is causing it to "bind up" when it gets warm? (keeping in mind that it runs PERFECT when it does start...lol..no knocks or funny noises) I didn't do anything with the short block when the motor was out, but upon looking at it, there didn't seem to be anything out of order (the bolts were tight, no extra slop between the rods and crank,etc- it looked solid).

Any advice ideas would be greatly appreciated...soooo frustrating to not be able to drive the car anywhere after all the time I've spent on it.

Thanks!!
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote