View Single Post
Old 02-14-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Actually, I really didn't know much at all about the 4.9L until I bought my truck. One of the reasons why is because they don't break down very often (if it doesn't break, no one is going to call me to fix it!). A '92 with 30k miles sounds too good to be true to me, but even if it's got 130k miles, it's still a great deal. The 4.9L is good for 250k miles without any major repairs needed, and even then, they rarely need more than a new set of timing gears (they are gear drive). The only problem I have had with mine was I had to replace the oil pan gasket, which ended up being much easier to do than I thought it would be. When you test drive this one, don't be surprised if it sounds "loose" when first started. I don't know why, but just about every 4.9L I've ever seen sounds almost like a diesel for the first few seconds after start-up. This is normal. Also, they are more torquey off the line, and will cross an intersection faster than a 302 F-150, but they don't have much pull past 3200rpm (stock). With a few mods, they are great engines, and are IMHO, the best truck engine Ford ever made. very durable, and very strong. When combined with a 5 speed, it's a teriffic combo. Let me know if you get it, and I'll walk you through any questions you have or mods you desire. You can email me at:

pkrwuds@pacbell.net

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote