View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default 97 F150 5.4 headers.

Hey folks...

My brother was deployed to Iraq last week and left his truck with me so I can fix and use it (97 F150 5.4L... stock... single exhaust out of the passenger side)... it runs pretty good, but appears to have 3 busted bolts on the exhaust manifolds. Two rear ones on the passenger side and one on the driver's side. It is leaking from those spots.

Now, I realize that I have to get those broken bolts out of the head (if I can't get it out from where it is, looks like I'll be in for a top end rebuild)... but I figured that while I had it apart, I'd just stick a set of headers on there, after all, they are competitively priced with replacement manifolds which look as though they've seen better days as the bolt holes on the broken bolts are well oversized and worn oblonged.

So, my question is for anyone to give me tips on which headers (cost is a bit of an issue, but I'm not going to squabble over $100 or so difference) to grab and which to avoid... and if there are any tricks that I should know before diving in there.

As for me, I'm a pretty good mechanic... but not too good to ask someone who may have done it, first.

Also, while I'm at it, should I just replace the entire exhaust (cat back...)? It looks like it is in pretty good shape... but not much point in sticking a set of headers on an otherwise choked system.

Thanks in advance...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote