MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2002, 12:35 AM   #1
66StangGuy
Registered Member

Question front end

i have a 66 mustang. orignal front suspention components with power stearing. i was wondering if there were similar parts from a different car that would fit mine. such as a falcon or commet. are the parts the same? if they are different would i be able to buy a complete rebuild kit for say a falcon and put it in the mustang. from what iv read in my shop manual its easier to adjust a falcon's alighnment then a mustang. anyone know how much this would cost and the best way to go obout rebuilding most of the from suspention? front springs and shocks are fairly new and i dont want to switch to rack and pinion. id like to keep it the old style. Thanks for any help
Old 04-25-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

I would just buy the Canadian Mustang front rebuild kit with their new style midolyne bushings. I am using polyurethane and they are hard on the car. What makes the Comet easier to adjust is that they use an eccentric bolt in the lower arm instead of shims on the upper arm. This is not better, and I would not go this direction. There is a kit that will allow you to do add the eccentric but it requires welding. I would stick with shiming the top arms.

Now for a hint. I used to run a Dick Guldstrand Slalom set up on my 66. He told me that I had to use the export and monte carlo bars on the front to keep the shock towers from deflecting. When I put the monte carlo bar in, I had to raise the car for 24 hours to get the shock towers to flex out to the proper dimensions. They had flexed in almost an INCH! This was a HUGE success. I went to a 1" sway bar with polyurethane. He told me to wrap the steel bar at the polyurethane mount with teflon tape. NO NOISE and the bar moves freely without binding. Then do Shelby's 1 inch top A arm drop. You have to move the caster setting 1/8 inch as well to correct for the drop. This is also awesome. It took me less than 20 minutes to drill the new holes and the cornering effect makes the car behave like a modern suspension. Have the car aligned and then carefully remove the shims and measure them. then pull the bolt and use solid washers of the same thickness. These cannot rattle loose and fall away which is why you lose the alignment. Make sure you run 3/32 to 1/8 inch toe in because at 75 mpg the wheels will move apart and as they do the car will wander. I like to use 1/8 inch although the manual calls for 1/16 inch toe in.

Email me at jim_howard_pdx@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

My car corners awesome. With a rear panhard rod and no other changes from stock other than polyurethane bushings, I can go 90 around corners marked 45 and the tires don't even complain. The Camaros cannot keep up. HA. Gotta love these early stangs for cornering prowess over the Chevy guys.