MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
connella08
Registered Member

Default mustang lx 5.0l smokes when revved

i am looking at buying a real cheap stang thats down my street. its 500 bucks, has 3 small rust spots. else looks fine. when its revved, smoke comes out of the exhast pipe. is this due to bad rings allowing oil to seap through. it wasnt started since december and when it was first started, it smoked quite a bit and ran a little shakey. the smoke cleared, but still runs a bit shakey. also, i noticed that when it chakes, the oil pressure goes down a bit then jumps back up. it is however low on oil to begin with, but that brings me back to the smoking. btw, is smokes out of the mufflers, not the engine. low oil due to bad piston rings? please, get me some feedback asap. i need to convince my dad its a good deal for 500 bucks. it has 136k miles on it, but for 500, thats not that bad. as long as the smoking issue is resolved.
connella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Re: mustang lx 5.0l smokes when revved

Haha, that sounds like my friend's 5.0. And his has LOTS of problems other than the smoking. It's basically just not taken care of. $500 might not seem like a lot, but don't trick yourself into thinking that you won't be putting MUCH more money into the car to keep it running.

That being said, if you like the car, and don't mind putting some work into it, then go for it.

p.s. Yeah, it sounds like it might be burning oil, or maybe just way out of tune.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
connella08
Registered Member

never mind, i found out what the smoking was. if it were burning oil, it would be a thick blackish smoke. this is a thin greyish white smoke. my dad made a good point and both my thoughts and his is that since it was sitting through the winter, the gas tank got condensation and now it is a mix of gas and water. we are going to put some dry gas in it and see iif it clears up the smoke. also, the shaking was resolved when i put more oil in it. it was below the "add" mark. also, i found out that it has almost no engine coolant in it what-so-ever. but we arent quite sure if im going to buy it yet, so we are going to fill it with water for now since 1: we dont spend 20 bucks for something im not going to buy and 2: i am going to have to flush out the radiator anyway. as of right now though, its looking good for me and buying the car.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Uhhh...

No.

Oil smoke is bluish grey... Carbon smoke is black... and condensation or antifreeze is white.

You're saying it runs rough, was out of antifreeze, and was low on oil... sounds more like a head or head gasket problem.

BE WARE!
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
connella08
Registered Member

no, since i put oil in it, it no longer runs rough. its as smooth as a baby's ass. but as it turns out i may not be able to buy it anyway.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I'm glad to hear that... but if you put oil in something and it "smoothes it out", what does that tell you was happening to the engine before?
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: