MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2002, 04:36 PM   #1
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Truck keeps popping into 4x4 on its own

Every once in a while my 1996 Ford F250 4x4 will engage the front drivers side wheel into 4x4. Its really weird. You'll just be driving along then...poof! So you have to pull over, back up, and its fine. Any thoughts?

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:49 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Does your truck have the electronic shift on the fly button/switch or is it the lever on the floor? I'm assuming your hubs are the autolocking. What does it do when it "engages"? It doesn't make any sense. Even if the hub is locked as long as the 4 high or low isn't engaged it shouldn't affect anything. It wouldn't pull unless the 4 wheel drive was engaged. The reason I was asking if it was electric push button was maybe the 4 wheel drive is kicking on for some reason which will then cause the auto hubs to engage into 4 wheel drive. Usually when a hub goes bad you don't get your 4 wheel drive when you try to engage it.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Its the stick on the floor. I found out a few days ago my 4x4 just isn't working, the bad noise is it trying to catch, it made a nasty clunk the other day. When we took it off road, tried to put it in 4x4 it wouldn't catch and we got stuck. Thanks for the info about the hub, I think thats probably the problem.

Amanda
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote