MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Mr 4.9l Answer Man, got a ? for you.

What is about the max lift you can safely go on the 4.9? Also, are these roller motors? Are the cams hydraulic? I was looking at the Clifford performance website, because they are just about the only people I could find with any aftermarket parts for the 4.9, and they have a wide variety of cams. I want to get headers, either clifford or hooker (who do you recommend?), an intake and a cam. I also thought about having the stock head ported and adding an ignition. I know you don't recommend this, I've already asked, but since you know just about everything about this engine and I respect your thoughts and opinions, I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the suggestions.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
PKRWUD

I have no idea about the max lift. It's hard for me to make any suggestions for that line of thinking, but do what you want to, not what i would do. It's your truck.

I would always buy Hooker headers over anything else Clifford sells. Don't get too crazy, or you won't be able to drive it.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Don't get too crazy, or you won't be able to drive it.
What exactly do you mean by this, loss of torque? I plan on adding the headers and a high flow cat with pipes no larger that 2.5". I want a new cat back, the dual chamber flow just isn't cutting it. I tried the single chamber and it sounded like bumble bee on crack. I know that if you have too much flow through the intake and exhaust it'll kill the torque, but if you improve the heads and cam won't that accomodate for the loss? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how things work so I don't have to keep asking the same dumb questions. Thanks for the help.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Avoid anything that has the word "racing" attached to it. You will have no torque or drivability with a high lift cam in that engine.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote