MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
grey88gt
Registered Member

Unhappy Exploder problems

Any one here own a 98 or there bouts, Exploder? I have a 98 2wd 4.0L auto 2/door sport. I was wondering what kind of fuel mileage pepole are getting with these things. I got the SUV right before X-Mas in 2005, my wife has griped about the fuel consuption now for some time. Today we took a little trip and I filled her up, 12 gal exact. Drove 200 miles and filled her up again, 10.8 gal. Most of the time was driving at 65-75 on the highway. Not to good LOL . The thing runs great, I did notice that at 75mph its running 2400rpm. Havent checked to see what gear is out back. This thing has been taken excellant care off, iam 2nd owner and it has almost 100,000 miles on it.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Default Re: Exploder problems

First, I would try doing and BG fuel injection service and air induction service which usually give better gas mileage. Second, check the air filter, third, check tire pressure, fourth, check to see if you need a major tune-up ie plugs,wires,cap,rotor,
fifth, check to see if brakes are sticking in any way, sixth, check to see if overdrive is working properly(most trans shops with do diag. for cheap.) seventh, you can call the dealership with the vin # and tag # off rear and they can tell you whats in your rear.
I used to work at ford as a master tech for 5 years. One other thing I would check is the tires for uneven wear and check alignment on it because if the tires are off it can affect gas mileage.

Let me know

ross
stanger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
grey88gt
Registered Member

Well Ive checked tire pressure, tires look fine, no abnormal wear any where, has new air filter, fuel filter, . As far as tune up goes it dosnt have a dizzy, so cap or rotor not needed, The wires look great, has no miss fire. I havent checked the plugs yet. The brakes are fine, checked them when I rotated the tires. The trans is shifting fine, and you can feel it lock the converter in 3rd and overdrive. I can see cleaning the carbon from the injectors, that might help some. Like I said , it runs great, starts great, no surging, runs perfect just gets bad fuel mileage. Whats up with the air induction service? Mass air meter, MAP sensor (barometric sensor on mass air setup which it has) IAC valve, If any of these were causing an issuse it should be running badly. Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Our 95 4.0 4dr with about 170k gets 16 MPG.
I run the total fuel system cleaner through it every 10k and I'm running the Bosch 2 plugs.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Basically the air induction service cleans the carbon and dirt from all the airways in the system and also will get rid of any clogs starting and/or wipes them out, and it will clean the egr system. It will clean the IAC valve and thottle body. If you get a can of BG induction cleaner you will run it through the vaccuum system ie vaccuum line off of booster. The kit runs between $50 and $90. Its a 3 step kit. I have used that kit for about 12 yrs and it cleans the hell out of the induction and fuel injection system. I would recommend it on any car out there. Most Ford dealerships sell and use it and other dealerships too. Now as for the plugs I would probably use platinum plugs(single or triple). Now for the wires I have a feeling that they are the original wires and I would probably replace them especially if youre only at 100k theyre probably OE. You would be suprised that the little things you do will give you better gas mileage.

Let me know

ross
Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
grey88gt
Registered Member

How is the induction cleaner going to clean the IAC, throttle plenum, EGR , as well as anything above the connection of the vac line going to the booster? Iam not saying the stuff you recommend dosnt work, I just dont see how it can clean anything above that vac point. I agree on the plugs and wires, its getting them wensday, and yes itll get a set of APP103 plugs. I know all the little things will add up. We got the thing in the winter and I assumed its poor fuel mileage was alot from letting it warm up and things of that sort. But now I know its not. Its just hard to take this bad fuel mileage when my 97 F250 with a 351, extened cab, 8x10 flat bed with boxs down both sides , loaded with tools gets 16 mpg.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

I forgot to add that you clean the thottle body/iac, The cleaner work through the system inc. egr.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #8
grey88gt
Registered Member

Iam such a dumb ass, and nobody caught it, LOL. Look in my 1st post. I drove 200 miles, and used 10.8 gal. of fuel, If I had done the math right (again dumb ass here) thats a bit over 18 mpg. Gees am I stupid. Anyways you can all LYAO at me now. Iam still gona change the exhuast and few other things on it to see if I can get 20 mpg out of it.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I had a chuckle over the "exploder problems"... I guess we've all had those issues at some point.

But you're right, I didn't catch the math mistake... just looked at the MPG you posted.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: