MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-19-1999, 12:53 AM   #1
CobraAC
Registered Member

Question 68 Mustang Gas Mileage?!

Hi there- Been a while since I've posted, been kinda busy =) Umm, I'm having a problem with the 68 Stang.. It has a 302 under the hood.. And I've noticed that I'm getting DREADFUL gas mileage.. 10 mpg if I'm lucky.. And one thing I noticed that might be the reason is, the idle is REALLY unstable, sometimes I'll start it up, well most of the times when I start it up its hitting REALLY high RPMs.. And I noticed that when I do that, I don't even have to hit the gas and I can go around 20-30 mph and sometimes I noticed I can be on a flat road going 40 mph and let off of the accelerator and continue going the same speed.. Its really annoying, I have to break extremely hard sometimes.. heh.. I think its a carbeurator problem, I've been told it needs adjusting- Can someone tell me whats going on? Why I get such poor gas mileage and what I can do to solve all of this? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!!

Jeff
CobraAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-1999, 05:35 AM   #2
Jerry
Registered Member

You may find that your choke is partial engaged even when the egin is warmed up. This will surely give you crappy gas mileage. Also make sure your throttle linkage isn't bound up. Bad gas mileage is only the tip of the iceberg. You better check into this it could be dangerous. Good luck
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-1999, 07:25 AM   #3
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

I agree with Jerry, this is not something I would live with could be dangerous. First you have to get that idle speed down to at least 750 to 1000 RPM. The choke has to be a main player but there has to be a proper kick-down as well. If you have not had the carb rebuilt lately this could be a good excuse. Also try runing the engine without the air filter and see if the choke opens after it warms up.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-1999, 07:35 PM   #4
66fastback
Registered Member

I have to agree with the others on this one....sure sounds like the choke is sticking shut. I used to have all kinds of choke problems. Most convenient solution is to try and convert it over to an electric choke. Most RELIABLE solution is to convert it to a manual choke......this was eventually my solution, but it certainly isn't for everybody.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote