MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
VirtualMustang
Registered Member

Lightbulb Ignition probs?

Ok. I need some help with my car.

She has 170,000 miles on her and within the last week been getting harder and harder to get started. She'll crank for a few minutes before she catches and that's if she starts. I cleaned the rotor and cap and all the wire connections dealing with the coil. The plugs are good. The fuel pump and filter is less than a year old.

She seems to only do this when she's cold. But I got her fired this morning on the first try, but when i let her cool down for a few hours she cranked up but then died while idling.

I'm burned out for ideas. If anybody could help it would be great.

thanks,

Matt
VirtualMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default codes?

Is your check engine light on? If so, you need to scan for codes. That will give you some place to start. And even though your fuel filter is less than a year old...you might want to still replace it. All it takes is one tank of some dirty gas to clog it back up. It's happened to my car on a couple of occasions. It wouldn't even run under 2000 rpms without stalling.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:20 AM   #3
bircky311
Registered Member

170,000 miles. ouch. it's gettin' old there padre. Try a compression check. check your injectors too... don't know about the ford ones(never had one do ir) but had a chevy(never again) that had a pair of injectors short out. ran like a bad fuel pump/clogged filter. they should read 12 ohms DC. Good luck

"Hot rodding a Grand Marquis is a little like making bourbon out of Geritol." said by John Phillips about the Mercury Marauder. Car and Driver, July 2002.
bircky311 is offline   Reply With Quote