MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
snmc57
Registered Member

Default 65 mustang coupe

Ok this is my first project experience so I need a little help. I am looking at a 65 mustang coupe. I has new str8 6 over bored with comp cam. Rebuilt auto tranny. Front brakes convert to disc. Interior is completely redone ...header needs to be tightend up a bit but looks good... Body is very straight, under carrage is clean with no rust. There is surface rust through out in spots on body (my big worry) but seems as though it is all sandable as none of it is through the metal. The car runs and drives and #'s match accpet for the new motor. Looks like shackles were added in the rear cause the back leafs extend to just before the rear bumper and it appears slightly raised. It needs paint!. Seller is asking 3000 I think he'll sell for 2500...Any ideas? Fair price? Any major things I should look for in 65 mustang that will be big problems. I know the alignment is off from the front disk swap. And it needs some brake lines and new mater cylinder.

Thanks for your input!!!

If i buy you will see me here often

Scott
snmc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Ron1
Registered Member

You may want to run water into the cowl area and see if the water gets inside. It would drip down on where your feet normally are. Run your hands along the bottoms of the doors, and look for rust holes. Open the doors and see if there is any up-down movement when you lift up on the door handle. Get under the car and look for rust spots, to see if any standing water has ever been in the footwells. Check in the trunk, on the left and right side. There are some wells there where water would collect and rust thru.
Lastly make sure to look under the battery, to make sure the inner apron is still intact. Usually battery acid over the years will eat thru the apron and sometimes thru the frame rails, especially under one side of the radiator support.
If you are thinking about someday replacing the six with a V8, keep in mind that the 6 cylinder was built "cheap", so almost every thing would have to be replaced. Suspension, cooling, brakes, wheels (4 lug vs. 5 lug), drivetrain, everything and that is BIG bucks.

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
snmc57
Registered Member

Ron,
Thanks for the input checked all of the rust areas and they were fine. will try water trick when i go look at it again tomorrow. Used "fridge magnet" trick and couldnt find any bondo either. Buying this one for my wife so will probably never put in V 8 I think she will be happy running a the bored out six. I have looked and 2500-3000 seems like a good deal up hear in WA for a running partially restored stang...Does that price seem fair to you wiht what you have read?

Any input from others?
Old 02-23-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
snmc57
Registered Member

BTW when I looked at the car the seats and carpet was removed so any rust would have been very easy to see.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
Ron1
Registered Member

Well, I just took a tour of ebay in that price range, and there is not a lot to choose from. I guess its up to what you are willing to pay. If it's a good runner and you have some mechanical background..I would offer the guy $2400.00 and see if he bites. Maybe negotiate from there.

What part of Wa. you in?

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:49 PM   #6
snmc57
Registered Member

I'm in tacoma