MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
hunting4bear
Registered Member

Question engine swap and more

just picked up an early 66 coupe cheap....... but no engine or tranny.

a buddy has an early 80's f150 i think its an 82 with a 302 and c4 in it i can get. dist. has a control module on fire wall any foreseeable problems on a swap or switching to a different dist if needed. plus also thinking of a different intake and carb so any suggestion would be helpfull all around.

the 66 body is in sweet shape and was partially restored and only needs a short pan on drivers side due to one hole in floor rest is in decent shape but interior is totally apart ( i think some one lost interest in rerstoration ) thier loss my gain :-)

i will be looking down the road for some major mods to car , brake system is not power brakes for healthy stopping power and going to do al new lines for fuel and brakes while at it. next questoin is the paint on dash has i guess you would call it a wrinkle finish ( textured ) how do i touch it up without destroying the look of original paint.

Thanks

Dave
hunting4bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Wrinkle paint?

The '66 didn't come with wrinkle paint on the dash. It was smooth semi gloss on the exposed metal of the dash. Sand it off and redo it semi gloss smooth on the dash. The interior of the doors and rear panel did have "textured metal" that was supposed to resemble after painting the vinyl uhpolstry of the seats and dash. Just strip these surfaces chemically and don't sand them. Minor steel wooling is OK. You want to retain the textured surface and then repaint those textured sufaces. Be sure to use a professional grade degreaser before you paint. You can get the correct colors in spray paint laquer cans from the various Mustang parts houses around the country.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

If your talking about a Duraspark ignition, use it. It will swap over just fine.

Remember to get a quality (Box.) Cheapo Auto Zone, Advance etc will fail. The originals were prone to overheating and quiting. After they cool awhile, they'll fire back up.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
hunting4bear
Registered Member

sorry i meant the paint on door not dash. OK so texturing is in the metal not the paint itself then thats good to know , i have never had to deal with that this wil be first time. my old 68 didnt get far enought along for me to have to deal with interior cause i ended up selling it when late wife came down with cancer.

this is my second stang and it wil be my driver during summer and stored in wintewr here. so i may be asking a lot of what may sound stupid questions sometimes because relatively new to stangs.

as for distributor i am not sure if it is a dura spark or not i havent looked real close at it to see whats what on the truck didnt want to jump in feet first without knowing if it would swap over with out a major hassle. how will i know if itd a dura spark ? wire style going to it ?? or markings to look for ?

Thanks dave
Old 10-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Duraspark is the only one that has the 4x6 (about) size aluminum looking ignition box bolted to a fender etc. Most of them say duraspark on them.

The distributor should have one connector/harness thingy on it. Black/orange/purple wires I think.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:20 AM   #6
hunting4bear
Registered Member

Default Re: engine swap and more

just to let you all know engine traansplant going fine for dry fit into coupe.

i few areas to address tho but should be easy to solve or fix.

as i had mentioned before i thought truck was getting was an 80's model ....well its a 79 with 302 dura spark ignition and c6 bolted up to it not a c4.

have swapped out the c6 for a t18 with bell housing clutch flywheel etc and al goodies to bolt up and drop in fit seems fine guy gave me tons of spare parts also to fit motor and manual tranny thats going in to 66 coupe.

couple problem ares which shouldnt be a major problem ar lower inlet is on drivers side on water pump not passengers side like original rad. pulleys are different and mount and pump for power steer sticks way out and will interfere.

interior work is going to be a nightmare after looking closer someone already sanded down some sections of panels where you guys mention it has textured finish so they are are smooth as spanked babies butt and painted gloss black. so any suggestions for here is there anyway to get the textured look back or am i screwed on that aspect?

I did find a spot on lower drivers side trunk drop i wil be replacing as there is a bit of rust there but other wise torque boxes and frame rails shock towers etc are real good.

wiring so far as i can see so far is intact and no splices or hacking into them.

rear end tag code was checked by a buddy at ford dealer here and shows as being original 2.8 : 1 lock rear end and he mentioned you dont see many around of them so maybe that is on plus in my favor but with motor and tranny combo i was haveing wild thoughts of installing different ratio. this will be a daily driver with some slight mods to motor but not wild hair raising drag motor so any suggestions for a ratio ?

last but not least how do i post pictures to either my profile or one that is tagged like you guys have when you reply to post ???
Old 10-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Default Re: engine swap and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting4bear
have swapped out the c6 for a t18 with bell housing clutch flywheel etc and al goodies to bolt up and drop in fit seems fine guy gave me tons of spare parts also to fit motor and manual tranny thats going in to 66 coupe.

Make sure that the flywheel you have is for a pre-1980 302. It must match the balancer counterweights.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote