MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2001, 05:36 PM   #1
vande97
Registered Member

Post 66 for pickup????????

my buddie has a 66 ford pickup. it has been sitting for about 6 years and it is not in good shape! but we are in the process of gwtting it back together. I am wondering what type of rearend came in this truck? i think it is an 9 inch but i could be wrong!.
Also we finally got the rear drums off after beating them to nothing. I turned one of the axel's and the the other one turned but the pig in the rear did not spin is this right? I have the drive shaft out and i can not turn the pig by hand is this right? what could be the cause for this? also one more question. Where can i find a whole rear end for this truck at a decent price, i want the whole thing to be assembled all the way to the brakes any advice would help alot,

thanks in advance!
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 04:05 PM   #2
84stangLX

If it's a completely round housing then it's probably a 9" rear, i believe the trucks came with them back then, but i could be wrong. The most likely place to find parts for this truck is in local papers, and auto/parts trader magazines if you want a decent price for the stuff, auto salvage yards with older vehicles are also likely to have stuff for it. If it is a 9" rearend, i believe you can just swap out the 3rd member and many places offer bolt in 3rd members since yours sounds like it's seized/rusted and there are many rebuild kits you can buy for the axle assembly. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-09-2001, 11:54 AM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Take a stroll over to: http://www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

There are a bunch of Ford truck guys there that will probably be able to give you some good info. There's a section that includes the '66's.

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - 5 speed. Original Owner
'94 E-150 Conversion Van

[This message has been edited by Maroon 5.0 LX (edited 05-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Maroon 5.0 LX (edited 05-09-2001).]
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote