MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default horsepower tips for '00 5.4 F-150

I know this forum is kind of dead lately...but does anyone know any tips or tricks to get a few more ponies out of my stock 2000 F-150 w/ the 5.4 Triton V-8? I have the Holley reuseable airfilter (similare to the K&N) and I'm getting a Gibson catback system soon. Are there any other cheap of free mods I can do or buy to wake this thing up a little?
Old 11-17-2003, 06:19 AM   #2
ktpman
Registered Member

You can cut the end of the air filter housing off, perks up the throttle response some. The most bang for the buck would be a gear change. I put 4.10's in mine and it changed the whole truck.
ktpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default '00 F-150

Quote:
Originally posted by ktpman
You can cut the end of the air filter housing off, perks up the throttle response some. The most bang for the buck would be a gear change. I put 4.10's in mine and it changed the whole truck.
I've heard about the air box tip. Actually that's about the only thing I have heard of, unfortunately. That & attaching aluminum dryer tubing to the air box and creating a type of ram air. But I'm not going to do that. My Mustang is my drag car...I was just looking for some free or cheap tricks or upgrades. So how is your gas mileage now that you have those 4.10s? Seems like it would take you through the lower rpms too fast, being that that is where the 5.4s make all their torque. How is it on the freeway? Does it tach pretty high, or does the OD make it ok?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #4
ktpman
Registered Member

Mine is a 4 by and had the 305/70r16's(33's). It put me at 2100 rpms at 70. I avg. 15mpg. I've since gone up 6" with 35's so the 4.10's are now like 3.73. Still much peppier than stock. I also put a t.b. spacer on it when it was stock and raced my buddies identical truck(his was a 99) and would always be ahead by a half truck. Not too bad for $70. Go to randys ring and pinion and play with the calculators,on a 2wd 3.73 would be great.Also check www.ftw.truckmoxie.com, its an all truck site.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:57 PM   #5
ktpman
Registered Member

Try the www.fordtruckworld.com, it will forward you.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Go with at least 3.73s or maybe even 4.10s like ktpman suggested. Think Lightning here. I'd bet there are underdrive pullies out there for the 5.4L. As many L owners there are that are taking off their Eaton's and putting on Kenny Belle's you could probably pick up an Eaton from a Lightning fairly cheap. Is your truck a reg cab short bed? If so get an aluminum driveshaft from a Lightning (parasitic HP loss in heavy steel shaft). As for the Gibson exhaust I haven't heard anything good about it. I would steer away from it. You can get full exhausts, headers and all, for the 5.4L. Check out www.nloc.net/ and www.f150online.com/ for more info. You could always go get some Nitrous Oxide, hehe.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #7
Simi Stang

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies people. My truck is a flare side extra cab. It's my daily driver so I probably wouldn't go with the underdrive pullies. A Lightning blower sounds like a good idea though... You think there'd be any Eatons for sale on the site links you guys posted? I have my '90 Mustang w/ a rebuilt 306 & 150 shot if I want to go real fast. I was just looking to beat the Silverados that some of my buddies drive. They seem to pull me on the top end. If I did change gears I'd probably go 4.10s...but that would kill my gas mileage since I have stock wheels and tires on there. The 3.55 gears are actually ok. Hmmm...what to do? Guess I'll just go with some exhaust for now. Since you don't recomend a Gibson exhaust 95GTS...which exhaust do you recommend?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:43 PM   #8
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Ah, an ext. cab.

As for the blower you should be able to find some of those Eatons at the National Lightning Owners Club website www.nloc.net/ and also talk to the Lightning section at www.f150online.com/ . Make sure you check out the Vendors section at NLOC. Many of the vendors there will have exhaust setups as well as other parts you want.

Also since you have the 5.4 Ext cab flairside you would be basically alot like the early model 99-01 Harley Davidson trucks so you should also check out the National Harley Truck Owners Club site at http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/ . You could also probably find some Eatons from the 02-03 Harley trucks from some owners on there that are switching to the Kenne Bell's.

As for 4.10s they probably won't hurt your gas mileage all THAT much really. I would highly recommend 4.10s if it were my truck. That will help get that heavy truck moving quicker. I used to have a GEN 1 94 Lightning (came stock with 4.10s). We've had guys switch out to 3.55s and such and the mpg only varied by maybe 1-2 mpg. I imagine it's the same for the GEN 2 trucks.

Check with Bassani as far as exhaust goes. I believe they've got some setups for your truck. I don't know a WHOLE lot about the new model truck's exhaust systems but I have read about the Gibson not being all that great. Bassani definitely has better power numbers. Magnaflow is also a good one to use. They may not sell a specific catback for your truck but you can always get the muffler, which is straight flow thru like Bassani, and enlarge your pipes if you wanted to do so. You may even pick up an exhaust from a Harley Truck. I don't know if their exhaust is any different than yours except for maybe side exit.

Why would you not go with UD Pullies? Charging issues or something? I would think you might be able to make up for any mpg loss from switching to 4.10s if you run UD pullies. Something to think about.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:01 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default thanks....& ?? 95GTS

Thanks for the info. and the links 95GTS. The reason I wouldn't want underdrive pullies is because of the experience I've had with my March underdrive pullies for my '90 GT. Underdrive pullies turn both the waterpump & the alternator slower than the stock set up. So when I'm idling in traffic in my F-150 on my daily commute to work...I don't want any charging issues to come up, like dim headlights and slow blinkers. I also don't want to run hot if I have to sit in stop and go traffic for hours on end...pulling my trailer...uphill...etc.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
thors_1
5.4 supercharged mustang

Default Re: horsepower tips for '00 5.4 F-150

I have a 2002 5.4L super charger off of the lightning engine i'm putting in my mustang next month (april).I'm going with a paxton or vortec charger so no holes in my hood.No idea as to price of it but not looking to retire off the sale of it either. any idea as to it's value? engine has 47,000km or roughly 30,000 miles.
thors_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: