MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Exclamation Odd starting problems

Alright, i haven't had a problem with this car in awhile now. Just recently within the past week my car has been on the fritz with starting, and I've had no problems like this before. At first I thought it was a possible battery problem, reason being, last night my car died at work. So i had it jumped, it took about 5 starts and about 10 min hooked up to the other car to even get it to turn over. The first try after the 10 mins, the car started right up no problems. Didn't have the car off till i got home at about 1am. Once again this morning the car wouldn't start, just went and put a new battery in, cleaned all the terminals and such, and nothing. It's getting power, everything works fine with the exception of starting. Right now, the car won't even turn over. I just get the click. I've also noticed that the battery gauge isn't where it was last night when I got it started when jumped. It's a 850@cca battery. I just replaced the starter about 3 months ago, no problems with anything. Im not exactly sure what to test or what to look into to fix this problem. i'm also on a very tight 12hr work day 7 days a week, so i can't afford to not have a car right now. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 AM   #2
Capri306

Default Re: Odd starting problems

I'd suspect a failing starter solenoid, or a dead spot on the starter. This is of course assuming your cables and connections are all good.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Rosco
Registered Member

is the starter solenoid located on the starter itself or located elsewhere? is there anything else i should be looking for?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

It's located on the inner driver's side fender next to the battery

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Capri306

Follow thy battery leads, my son.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

One thing you may try if those other ideas dont work, Try hitting on the starter while someone trys to start it. You may have bad brushes in the starter. Good luck.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
Rosco
Registered Member

haha...hitting the starter...i think i might be only able to poke it with a stick...longtubes are a pain in the ass getting to it
Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Lethal's right, but usually you'll just hear a "thump" sound when that's the case... I beat the crap out of one on a civic and drove it home!
1) Is the battery dead again? Turn on your headlights and radio... you'll know. If it's dead then it's a bad battery or the alternator is not charging it. The last time I had an alternator die, everything dimmed for about three miles... then poof! This is pretty common
2) Have you made sure that all wires (especially the black grounds connected to your fender wall) are not damaged? Pretty common
3) Have you installed a new solonoid lately? They seem to go bad every 100k or before. And by the way, they're cheap.

If all else fails, have someone (or do it yourself) check the distributor's gear/cap/button/control module/and the other thingy inside I forget. You'll need a timing light if you take it out.
Coil working?
From the way you described it, it sounds like the solonoid/wires/battery/alternator. Let us know!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
Rosco
Registered Member

Well to my amazing luck, i replaced the relay, which actually was a problem. Tested it by jumping it and it didn't work. Put a new relay in...clicking and no turning. So i figuring it has to be the connection from the relay to the starter. Now I have to tear my header off to even get close to the connector. I am actually thinking about running a brand new wire from the relay to the starter. I was wondering what gauge wire should i run?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
Rosco
Registered Member

alright..well i found out that the bolt holding the wire onto the starter was all kinds of messed up...replaced that...got the car back together...and it started alright...ran for about 15 seconds, and then the starter kicked on and would not shut off...i had to jump out and yank the battery cable off..... I have no idea what has caused this, and now i hope my starter isn't shot..this has never happened before..the new bolt i put in was exact length as the other one? now what?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
Rosco
Registered Member

just had a thought....is it possible that maybe the headers are hitting the new bolt i put in? would that complete a ground for the starter causing it to constantly have power to it?
Old 11-06-2005, 07:08 AM   #12
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Low voltage or the solenoid is sticking. That's what usually causes the starter to stay on. Oh, yeah the ignition switch can do it too. How does that feel?? The electric part can be going bad. If it was me...I'd replace the electric part of the switch. Very inexpensive to do.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Rosco
Registered Member

Another thing, before I removed the battery cable, i thought maybe there was something with the solenoid....so i unpluged the starter plug from the solenoid...and the starter continued to run? this is when i decided to pull battery cable. Which makes me wonder how is the starter still turning? Just curious at what all I should be looking at right now?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
Gearhead999
Registered Member

The solenoid sticks, on, and it is the same as direct wiring the heavy cable from the starter directly to the positive cable of the battery. No Good.

The Solenoid takes the small wire from the ignition switch and allows the ignition switch to control the large, high amperage of the battery to connect to the starter. It is spring loaded to the "off" position. So when it sticks the starter stays "ON".

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote