MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-09-2002, 08:23 PM   #1
92Convertible
Registered Member

Default starting problems

I am having a very annoying problem and hopefully someone else has experienced it and knows how to fix it. My car has a very intermittent starting problem. It will start just fine fpr a while and then suddenly I turn the key and nothing happens except for the fuel pump kicking on-the engine does not turn over and there are no noises (solenoid clicking or starter trying to turn) coming from the engine bay. The car will eventually start up if I keep turning the key. There is no rhyme or reason to this either-I may only need to turn the key a couple of times or I may have to turn it 20 or so times before the car starts.

I have replaced the starter, battery, and alternator within the last year (unrelated to the starting problem). Directly related to the starting problem, I have replaced the clutch interlock switch, the ignition switch, and the starter solenoid. I also checked the ground wire from the battery to the front of the block and the wires attached to the starter to see if any of those were loose. They are fine. I am out of ideas here. Since nothing happens when I turn the key, I think the problem must be electrical and must lie between the key and the starter because the starter does not turn over. What am I missing? What else can I check? Is there another ground wire somewhere or another relay or fuse that I should check!? I think I have replaced ever component from the ignition key to the starter except the ignition key cylinder.

Thank you in advance.
92Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Godslayer
Registered Member

Default well...

Does your car have an alarm or anti-theft protection? My Cougar has a dealer installed anti-theft device and it took me two weeks to find the problem in the wiring. Have you replaced the ignition switch or the lock tumbler? Might want to look into that.