MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Novi 2000 or ATI procharger?
Poll Options
Novi 2000 or ATI procharger?

Old 01-15-2002, 06:28 PM   #1
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Cool Future blower plans. Want oppinions, thanks.

Well, i have a new job at a speed shop up here and i have decided to try for a blower on my motor. Right now it would be on a basicaly stock 5.0 with fuel system upgrades and 1.72 rr's. In the neer future i might put some aluminum heads on depending on price and availability of time. I was wondering if there was any advice you could give me on parts i might need that i couldn't think of. I will be switching to MAF with a Pro-M 80mm, new 255 lph pump, inline pump, rales, lines, AFPR, and injectors. The mane qyestion is wich blower though. I have been leaning twards an ATI but i have been reading a lot about the Novi 2000 and it sounds real good too. Plus the 2000 comes in a kit with fuel pump and all other goodies. Does the ATI come with this stuff too? Wich would you prefer and wich would make more power with the same pully size? Later

Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
PKRWUD

For the money, you can't beat Vortech, IMHO.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:57 AM   #3
Paluka21
Registered Member

well if your talking about novi 2000 level, then I'd assume your looking at the D1 series ProChargers. If this is the case, I'd go procharger over the novi. For the money you can't beat the D1 procharger that comes with a 3 core intercooler and can support up to 900hp.
With a D1SC and 8lbs of boost I gained 175rwhp after having the car tuned, so as you can see they can add serious power even at low boost levels.
good luck
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021
Paluka21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:48 AM   #4
NoSlow5.0

Thanks for your response guys. I was looking into the D1sc or even the D1 but didn't know it came with an intercooler, i think that just put it back into first place. I am also getting an ignition with boost retard. Later

Jonathan Light Em Up!!!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:42 PM   #5
RadialPrincess
Registered Member

Although I'm very biased...
My pick would be the Novi 2000. I've never had a problem with them and love their durability. They are VERY strong blowers and make a TON of power. My car is custom intercooled, and its not very hard or expensive to do it yourself. The Novi kits come with the fuel accessories too... don't know about the procharger.
Good luck whichever way you go!
Old 01-19-2002, 09:16 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

Look ar Stangrr's car. A stock shortblock, very mild heads/cam/intake combo and a Novi.

He makes 500 odd horsepower at the wheels and runs 10's.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:51 PM   #7
buddha
Registered Member

Well I have the NOVI, and had a ATI. As far as the quality of the kits, such as hardware and bracketry, the NOVI smokes ATI. Vortechs hardware is also better IMO.

I have yet to hear any major problems with the NOVI, such as thown belts, or leaky seals. I don't sound bias at all, do I?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:40 AM   #8
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

In my experience with three different blowers, an intercooled system is the way to go if you want to run decent boost on the street. Detonation is a major issue with forced induction, and intercooling is a huge help in keeping detonation away. You could go without an intercooler by retarding the timing, but that seems to take away power.

With an intercooler, the charge air is nice and cool as it enters the intake. You can run full timing and run leaner compared to non-intercooled setups. You can run more boost if you choose. I had a buddy with a D-1 who was running 25 lbs. at the blower/ 21 at the intake, on 92 octane and 10 degrees initial timing with no retard. Intercooling works.

ATI comes with an intercooler. Vortech has an aftercooler kit which I understand works well. Paxton has a new air-air intercooler that mounts in front of the radiator or A/C condenser.

The ATI kit is only about $3K with the intercooler, which is a cost-efficient way to go. As said above, the quality of the ATI hardware isn't that great, but the head unit seems good enough. To intercool/aftercool a Vortech or Paxton, you'll need to spend considerable more above the price of the base supercharger kit.

Hope this helps.

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:09 AM   #9
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

why not try an incon twin turbo?

4k, and you get everything, fuel pump, injectors, maf, intercooler, 2 turbos, headers, chip.....

9psi, and you would most likely be pushing 400rwhp.
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #10
NoSlow5.0

I have considered turbo. I would like to have one in all actuallity, but i have neither the time or the $$$ for the tuning on the kit. Plus i would like to do the install my self but am a little leary about the turbo install kicking my butt. I have been floating around on turbomustang.com and some other sites to gather info. And i honestlt think that a turbo kit would be beyond my ability. At least i am honest about my limits. Jonathan

Light Em Up!!!
Old 01-22-2002, 12:37 PM   #11
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

What the hell? A few weeks ago you were yammering about 460 this, 460 that. Changing your mind again????? At least you are being more reasonable now! Are you putting the power adder on the old stock block? How many miles on that sucka?
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
NoSlow5.0

LOL! Belle, you are such a trip! It turns out that the 429 swap into a Fox would be more of a headache than i want, so I am getting a 70 fast back to put the 429 in. It is that drab green color with black leather interior and a C4. But i still want Marbles to have a little spirit, so i am putting a little fun into her. I am going to leave the short block stock for now plus add a girdle. If it goes, or should i say when it goes i will build a short block stroker in an SVO block. Until then 400 hp should suffice.

If i can find a Novi 2000 w/ a cooler i think i may go with that kit. It sounds like a better buy. Thank you every one. Jonathan

Light Em Up!!!
Old 01-22-2002, 09:35 PM   #13
Five0
Registered Member

I have a friend who has a mustang gt with twin turbos that runs high 10's @127mph with the stock short block, stock heads (mild port work) and a b303 cam. That car is bad a**.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote