MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2002, 09:31 PM   #1
restridge
Registered Member

Question Truck won't crank

I have a '99 F150 4.2L V6. I went to crank up one morning, turned the key and nothing happened. All the idiot lights came on like always, but the starter didn't engage. Didn't even make noise. So I rolled the truck (I have a drive way that's on a grade), popped the clutch and it cranked. I went on to work hoping the battery would charge in the way. When I got there, I shut off the engine & tried again. Nothing. I used a wire loop to jump across the starter solenoid & it cranked & ran fine. Does anyone know what my problem is? Clutch safety switch, ignition switch or other?
restridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
BigEd
Registered Member

What part of SC do you live in?
If you're not too far I might can help you.
Eddie
Old 12-12-2002, 01:35 AM   #3
PKRWUD

It could be a few things, but it really does sound like the clutch switch. Try this: put it in neutral, and try to start it. While you hold the key in the Start position, pump the clutch pedal several times, even side-stepping it. If the starter engages at any point during this time, the clutch switch is the problem.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
restridge
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I fooled around with the truck tonight, I thought I could take the plug off the clutch switch & jump it to see if that was my problem. But when I got it off, I saw it had 6 prongs, each with a wire. So I rigged up a "hotwire switch" from the terminals on the solenoid thru the firewall. It'll get me by until I can work on it this weekend. Ed, I'm from Lancaster but I get down to Cola. alot. I've got some family & friends there. In fact I bought my truck @ Ben Satcher Ford. My best homie lives in West Cola. His wife knows Ben Satcher personnally. He gave me a $2000 better deal than anyone else on the same model truck & gave me about $1000 more than my old Mazda was worth in trade even after I told him what a turd it was. I don't remember if you can see my email on my profile, but here it is: restridge@OnlineXpress.net

Are you a mechanic or just a shadetree like me?

Rob
restridge is offline   Reply With Quote