View Single Post
Old 12-21-2001, 02:30 AM   #8
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

This is a great thread. It's really cool to hear your guys' stories. Here's mine!

It was last year, about this time, actually. It was about 10:15, and I was leaving my school after my basketball game. I was getting into my car with my girlfriend, when "Dan" pulls up behind my car in his '70s T/A. SB 400, auto, Edelbrock carb and Performer cam. He is a very cocky guy, he's about 3 or 4 years older than me, and he thinks he T/A is just the sh!t. He gets this little smirk on his face and says "Wanna run 'em?" I jump on it and say "Oh you know it!" I'm running low on gas so I stop at the station and put in a couple gallons of the highest octane they had. So I take the 15 minute trip to the racing area.

We get there, he drops off his passengers and I drop of my girlfriend at the finish line. We haul *** back to the starting line, pestering eachother. We get back there and line up, the starter drops his arms. I burn the hell out of my one powered tire (8" open rear, 3.0:1 gears), it's spinning like a mutha until I hit about 35 mph. It's almost dead even, his nose is at about my front tire. I get a little anxious and shift into 2nd at about 4700 RPMs when my "tire" catches. He pulls up even to me, and maybe a little ahead. Once my revs picked up in 2nd gear I started pulling a little. I pulled ahead 1/2 length on him in 2nd, and stayed even in third. The finish was his nose at my door.

We stopped and talked. He was so happy he almost beat me. I knew I had a horrible race though, so I asked him if he wanted to run again. He said no and that he was done for the night. And I said I just wanted to try a different launch. He finally agreed. So we go back and line up again. Starter drops his arms, I get a wayyy better launch. I instantly pull a length on him, bump it into second and pull about 2 more lengths. Once I hit third I was cruising and pulling hard. The kid's dad said I had him by about 2 1/2 to 3 lengths....But one of the guys that was with "Dan" that was at the finish stripe said I was about 5 or 6 lengths in front of him. I later saw a "15.5" in his back window that he had tried to wash off. So that made me around a 15 flat. I'd say that would be about right for my combo before I did my rear end, torque converter, and fuel pump.

He wasn't as happy this time. But he got out and shook my hand and told me that my car had some balls. I said, "Well, it's nothing that special." This even ticked him off worse, he jumped in his car with his friends and did a little burnout and took off. I just got in my car with my girlfriend, excited as hell, and took it into town at about 45 mph. I was soooooo pumped.

That was my excitement for that night.

Damn.....I wish my fastback was done....
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote