View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 02:45 AM   #4
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed
It's not just here, man... it really is everywhere!

I must say though Palm beach county just passed a huge school renovation/ new school bill recently!
There are new schools popping up all over the place and they are tearing down all the old ones and building new HUGE ones in their places... this is a very good thing.
Yeah, I've found that the problem has been seen to county by county. But not all counties want to see it fixed! I went to a tri-county public school in Charlotte county. Kids from Sarasota (like me), Charlotte, and Lee counties all went to this high school. Sarasota decided to raise their property taxes to help out their public schools. Even though I lived in Sarasota county, the school that I went to (nearest) was in Charlotte. So the school didn't see a penny of the money. And Charlotte county is so poor and filled with elderly that that school depends on the local contributors - where most of our scholarships come from (it's a good community, so the school is lucky). But anything on a state level, like Bright Futures is being pushed further and further away when that is a HUGE reason for kids being able to afford college. I know of dozens I graduated with that wouldn't have been able to afford college without it. Yet they overspend on FCAT testing, which I can tell you is a like taking a test to skip the 2nd grade! It's such a rediculous way of saying "Florida Achievement is High" so "Way to go Jeb!". Ugh. The millions overspent into FCAT could be used elsewhere. I could have sworn that we also had a lot of income for the schools through the lottery, now it seems to be going other places. I just can't believe that Jeb was reelected because just over half the state has no personal connection to education. I'm still sickened by it. But you're right Joe. It's a really good thing to see certain counties trying to find ways to help their schools because the state does squat.

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote