MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-09-2001, 01:45 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Cool Out of Whack Old Steed Shows LT-1 Whos Boss!

As most of you have probably read, my Old 64 1/2 isnt running up to snuff lately. But she shined through for me when I needed her to.

On the way home from work, I saw a White mid 90's Z28 with an orange stripe, pull out of Benigans. Me an dthe guy made eye contact for a second, and he must taken that as a threat because he came pulling up on me pretty fast, and tails me for 1/2 a mile.

He then pulls up beside me and gooses the throttle three times and then cuts me off. He turns a right were I have to, and he gasses it and gets all squirly, then shoots off. I thought what the hell I'll do the same. I gas it and smoke bellows out my pipes leaving a damn smoke screen. (Oh yes, unburnt Hydrocarbons, gas)

Diane, my car, studders bogs and goes nowhere fast. Rather embarrasing, but my cars been way out of tune since I pulled it out of storage. To my misfortune (or at the time I thought) the light ahead turned red and he stopped. I pulled up next to him and he starts revving. Looking over I see he has this big Sh!t eating grin, cocky as hell.

I look over and tell him "Shes all out of whack, I need to tune her up. Wont run worth a damn like this."

Honest to god, this guy has the nerve to say back "SOunds like a puu$$ies excuse to me. Piece O' Sh!t Ford." That really really got my blood pumping then. I was furious, Nobody but Nobody calls Diane a peice o' poop.

I rev back a few times, sending all kinds of tree killing smoke into the atmosphere. THe light turns and Its on.

He instaniously pulls on me, my car does nothing but Bog, and shudder. No tire Squealing, no power, no nothing. I slowly roll out of the hole. I was just about to give in and roll sadly home when She screamed to life. I dont know what happened or what she did, but it worked. The exhaust pitch raised like a few hundered decibals, the secondaries obviously opened, and she kicked the tires loose at 20 MPH.

He had about a 1 car length lead on me by then. She took off like a run away freight train going down hill (well not really, but considering that less than awesome start off). I started gaining on him extremely fast. By the end of first gear at 50 MPH I was almost even with him. at 60 I was even, and by 80-90 his Shark nosed Z's front bumper was at my rear wheels. I let off then.

At the next light, I couldnt help but say. "Shes all out of whack, I need to tune her up. WOnt run worth a damn like this." I couldnt help but laugh. He rolled up his Window and gave me the bird.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Wink

Cont...

When I got home I put Diane in the garge and gave her a pat on the hood. She pulled through for me. God knows how with as way out of whack as she is.

Oh, and I thought I smelled the slightest scent of anti-freeze after the race. I got home and checked the hoses and she didnt seem to be burning any coolant.

When I set my cooler down in teh car Tuesday to go to work I heard A squish. I felt the passenger side carpet and it was damp. I blew the damn Heater Core. Oh well, looks like I got more work to do this weekend.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
SkarodoM
Registered Member

gah! cocky sonofawhore

nice run
SkarodoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:55 PM   #4
Power
Registered Member

I love hearing stories of the old classics bringing home the bacon. Nice way to hand his pride back to him. Once you get it all fixed it will be worth it. Inspires a new feeling of joy.....

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 08:47 PM   #5
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Awesome story/race.... too bad your car wasn't running full tilt...

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 11:25 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Wink

After I put the heads on that I shaved, ported and polished extensively, I didnt really have the chance to see what she can do, except once when I had Tim C in the car with me.

It provoked a "Hot Damn!!" response from him. Shortly after that it started giving me charging problems occasionally, then the radiator blew out (it was the craptacular original) I replaced it with a 4 row, then I started having real bad charging problems so I stored it for too many months.

Now that I took the generator off and put the alternator on, I Cant wait to get her tunned and running right. I dont have the Vaccum advance hooked up, Havent adjusted the points in about 3 years, Carbs in need a dire attention ( a complete rebuild, or retire it and put a 600 CFM double pumper on ) Shes running way to rich, has sticking float bowls, and all kinds of other stuff that needs tweaked. Oh and the Timing is all goofed up. For some reason, I have three marks on my dampner for timing, none of which seem to be TDC.

I was surprised as hell to catch him and pass him, especially since he had a car lenght on me before my car started REALLY rolling.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 05-10-2001).]

Old 05-10-2001, 12:59 AM   #7
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I think I'll leave the C-4 in it for now, seems to be a pretty strong Auto car. Think I'll just concentrate on Tuning her up and getting a set of long tube headers, H-pipe, and some Non-restrictive Exhaust. That original style kinked and bent exhaust isnt worth a damn.

I wonder how 2 chamber flows would sound on it? Then maybe I'll rebuild the clanking rearend and put a traction lock head in it.

Old 05-10-2001, 06:35 AM   #8
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

Haha! Good Kill! And great story!
LT1 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:53 PM   #9
Fostang
Registered Member

First I'd like to say congrats on the kill. Second since it seems that you want some input about what to do. I would throw away the points and put in the an ignitor with the original distributor. Then I'd go with a 600 cfm carb whatever brand you like. I've heard the demon carbs are good. Then some ceramic coated headers the flowtech ones aren't that expensive. If I were you I wouldn't go with an h-pipe I'd get an X-over system with dual flows with tips all the way in the back. Putting dumps on a car with less than 400 hp and no cats really hurts it. The car would sound great trust me. HotRod Mag did an article on exhaust systems and the X-over type only lost 2 hp and gained some torque over open exhaust and in the quarter mile the car ran the same times and thats with 60 extra pounds of exhaust.I goofed when I had my exhaust done with an H-pipe. The C4 is a really good tranny for street racing I must agree on that. I've just a question what kind of gas do you run on it with that kind of compression. I have 9.5 and plan on lowering. Gas now a day's sucks.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 01:59 AM   #10
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

FostStang.

Anything lower than 93 will ping constantly no matter what the timing is set at. And then when the Rpms start getting high, like around 4900 and higher, it pings no matter what. I need to mix in a gallon or two of 104 ocatane probably.

I'm not sure what my timing is actually at now. I have to figure out this weekend where Top dead center is on the dampner and make a mark, the lack of advancing and retarding timing is killing my power. My guess is I have it at somewhere around 9-12 degreess about now, when ever I hook the advance up, it pings like crazy. I didnt have time to mess with it so I just unhooked the vacuum line going to the advance.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 05-11-2001).]